Anyone know any good console rpgs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know any good console rpgs?

Im just wondering if anyone can recommend any decent rpgs for playstation 2? Ive played and loved final fantasy 10 and star oceon 3, i thought final fantasy x-2 was naff, and i wasnt that impressed with breath of fire 5 or wild arms 3. Apart from the ones ive just mentioned i dont really know of any others. Are there any good rpgs ive overlooked?

KOTOR. Buy an Xbox.

Comment

Lol, he clearly has a PC if he's posting this. Play KOTOR on the PC.
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Really useful advice guys Sorry Frosty, I don't own a PS2. Maybe you should check the reviews on Gamespot.
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Suikoden IV is supposed to be good...but I stopped playing after 2. What about FF Tactics? Does that count as an rpg for you?
          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
          *****Citizen of the Hive****
          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Why do people love Knights of the Old Republic so much? It is one of the crappiest games I have ever played! Stilted, yawn inducing, juvenile story; poor frame rates throughout; boring combat; abysmal voice acting - I don't understand its popularity. I think I have been permanently scarred by seeing the same old quotes during the billion or so load screens I had to endure.

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness is a fairly well regarded turn based RPG for the PS2.

Dark Cloud 2 is another esteemed game worth investigating.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant is also supposed to be pretty good.
            Last edited by Bkeela; June 12, 2005, 23:42.
            Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela
              I think I have been permanently scarred by seeing the same old quotes during the billion or so load screens I had to endure.
              You never played a Bioware game, have you? They certainly don't mind loading screens, otherwise they would have eliminated them a long time ago. Btw, I also think loading screens suck.
              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I've played Baldur's Gate, but only until I discovered I didn't have disk 2, but two copies of disk 3.

I've also started Baldur's Gate II. I got out of the first dungeon, came to a town, and was bombarded with so many quests that I instantly lost interest.

So no, I'm no Bioware fanboy.

Comment

I enjoyed most of their rpgs. KOTOR was ok, but it wasn't as good as some people claim. But after playing all these Bioware games, I'm starting to have a been-there-done-that feeling. That's in part why I didn't get KOTOR 2 nor Jade Empire. But now, they're the only kids on the bloc, in the PC and Xbox world at least. Well, there's also Bethesda. Troika is dead, unfortunately. There's Obsidian, but they'll be stuck doing Bioware sequels for a while. Or so it seems.

So I gather you like japanese rpgs? I admit I never played one.
                  Last edited by Nostromo; June 13, 2005, 00:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela
                    Why do people love Knights of the Old Republic so much? It is one of the crappiest games I have ever played! Stilted, yawn inducing, juvenile story; poor frame rates throughout; boring combat; abysmal voice acting - I don't understand its popularity. I think I have been permanently scarred by seeing the same old quotes during the billion or so load screens I had to endure.
                    Wow there grouchypants!

KotOR is a very polished game. Ok I can accept the story is a little cliched. but it's well done and even an old cynic like me was too hooked to complain. It certainly wasn't yawn inducing, as most people had a desire to find out more about the characters and plot, and the action scenes are fun.

Furthermore, the frames rates aren't bad if you have a good machine - don't blame the game for that problem.

I thought the voice acting was fine, and above most games I've played with the exception of the Gabriel Knight series.

So in conclusion,

Comment

So I gather you like japanese rpgs? I admit I never played one.
                      The lack of decent PC games forced me to consider other options. I became interested in Advance Wars, which in turn gave me a taste for goofy games like Disgaea. I'm not so much a fan of Final Fantasy, nor am I hardcore into anime.

Furthermore, the frames rates aren't bad if you have a good machine - don't blame the game for that problem.
                      The machine I played Knights of the Old Republic on was an Xbox. If Knights was a port of a PC game, I wouldn't be inclined to complain, but it was developed for the Xbox first.

Comment

Fable is pretty damn cool so far, and largely open-ended. I plan on getting Jade Empire after I finish Fable (and after GTA:SA for PC.)

I used to love the Shining Force series for Sega.

Comment

Working...
                        X