XBox and High Definition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XBox and High Definition

I just got a Sony HDTV and I'm having problems with getting the HD to work with the XBox. The HD works amazing with the cable box and the DVD player, but with the XBox... eh. I hooked up the HD AV pack. I setup the XBox to be widescreen and 480p, 720p, 1080i, etc. The opening setup screen (without a disc in it) comes up in 480p. But whenever I put in a game which supports 480p, the XBox doesn't play the game in that resolution (such as KOTOR II, Jade Empire, or GTA: San Andreas). I wonder what I have to do to get it in the proper resolution, since the setup screen displays in 480p .

Anyone have any ideas as to what it causing the problem?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

If you set up the Xbox Dashboard right in the video options, and enabled 480p/780p/1080i support (I think you should set them to "yes"), then it should work...

Mine does (with a Sony HDTV).

Unlike the PS2/Gamecube, all titles must support 480p on Xbox.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

What does all this mean for Xbox games?
      With very few exceptions, Xbox games support 480p. If you want to get really serious about your HDTV, you gotta go for games that support 720p resolution:

Amped® 2 (Xbox Live™-enabled)
      Crash Nitro Kart™
      Delta Force®—Black Hawk Down™ (Xbox Live-enabled)
      ESPN Major League Baseball (Xbox Live-enabled)
      ESPN NBA Basketball 2005 (Xbox Live-enabled)
      Freedom Fighters™
      MVP Baseball™ 2004
      NBA® 2K3 (Xbox Live-enabled)
      NBA® Ballers™
      Sega Sports™ World Series® Baseball 2K3
      SoulCalibur® II
      Steel Battalion™—Line of Contact (Xbox Live-enabled)
      Street Hoops
      Terminator® 3: The Redemption
      The Sims™ Bustin’ Out
      Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 4
      Tony Hawk’s Underground
      True Crime: Streets of L.A.

But, if you really want to go all-out, try one of these games that support both 720p and 1080i resolution:

Dragons Lair 3D: Return to the Lair
      Enter the Matrix™
      MX Unleashed™
      Syberia

How do I make it work?
      The Television
      First, you need a high-definition television. Either an HDTV Ready or Integrated HDTV television will work. HDTV Ready just means that you don’t have a tuner for accepting HDTV signals and Integrated HDTV means you do. A television with 480p resolution will support just about every Xbox game. But, the more resolution the better. If you can afford a big plasma HDTV, more power to you. You’ll be the envy of all your friends.

Connecting to the Xbox
      You’ll also need the Xbox HDAV Pack to connect your Xbox console to your HDTV. The manual included with the HDAV Pack will guide you through the process.

Video Settings
      Your Xbox automatically defaults to a 480i resolution. Once you’ve got it connected to your HDTV, you’ll want to go into the Xbox Dashboard (turn on the Xbox without a disc in the tray). Then, go to Settings and choose Video. Select the highest resolution that your TV can handle. Don’t worry. If you set it at 1080i and you pop in a 720p game, you won’t have to reset the video—it’ll automatically display your games at the correct setting. And, don’t freak that you don’t see a setting for 480i. It’s the default.

One little quirk is that, if you’ve got your video display set to 480p, the Dashboard might not show up or will look funky. In the old days, you used to have to go back to the video settings screen and switch it back to 480i (the default setting). But, with the latest update to Xbox Live™, we’ve enabled this cool shortcut that allows you to toggle back and forth between 480i and 480p. All you do is pull both triggers and click down on both thumbsticks, all at the same time. Then, bada-bing, you’re set! Toggle it back to 480p the same way. Toggle all day and night if you want. You can work this toggle magic from anywhere in the Xbox Dashboard.

If you’re not an Xbox Live subscriber or haven’t been online since April 2004, you will need to toggle the old-fashioned way. Click here to learn how. Better yet, get your butt online!

Or, if you buy any recently released games, you can try to access the Xbox Live portion of the game, and it should update you auto-magically!
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I did set all of them to yes. But for some reason when I set the TV setting to "Full" for some games (like KOTOR II), it looks all streached out and looks better on "Normal" (a 4:3 view).

Or maybe I just expected more from my games graphically that was unwarrented. Hmmm...
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

A lot (most?) games don't support widescreen.

480i is the standard TV resolutions -- 480 lines, but interlaced (half the image is drawn each "frame", alternating lines)

480p is the digital TV resolution -- 480 lines, but progressive scan (the image is drawn fully once per frame).

They don't look too different, except in cases where there's tons of movement...the 480i has some interlacing issues (blurry objects with movement).

Comment

A lot (most?) games don't support widescreen.

AH! That's gotta be it!

How can you tell if a game supports widescreen?

And I know the difference between 480i and 480p. Thanks though . I do know that 480p looks OUTSTANDING on my DVD player.

Comment

Comment

Thanks Ash

Comment

Ash? Is there something you aren't telling us, Imran?

Comment

Working...
                  X