No announcement yet.

Spore/Sim Everything...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's because of great reviews it got. I bought the game based off of great reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
      Black and White sucks as a game, but it still sold quite well AFAIK.
      but not nearly as well as the Sims. I guess Im thinking financial success on that scale offsets gameplay dissappoint as far as measuring a flop, whereas modest success does not. Of course many liked the gameplay in the Sims.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
        Of course many liked the gameplay in the Sims.
        Many are still addicted to it now.

Any way, I think that financial success is the only objective way of measuring a "flop". That you or I don't like the gameplay of a game doesn't matter one bit if millions of people are willing to buy it.
        XBox Live: VovanSim
        xbox.com (login required)
        Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
        Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by vovan

Any way, I think that financial success is the only objective way of measuring a "flop". That you or I don't like the gameplay of a game doesn't matter one bit if millions of people are willing to buy it.
          The masses are never wrong, eh? I think I can come up with a contradictory (non-game) example or two...

Carolus

Comment

Sounds a bit like SimEarth, or maybe Dinosaurs...interesting though.
            There is also an official website btw
            <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
            Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

I think this looks like a very ambitions idea - if anyone will pull it off though, it will be Wright. The philosphy behind the game, that it generates its own models and its own animations and its own logic from very small amounts of code - well, that's fantastic. Say what you will about the Sims, its a very well written game, with enough depth and replayablity to keep literally hundreds of thousands of people addicted to it.

Doc, come off it. No one is impressed by snobbish attitudes towards games. Its ok to like a game even if its popular. Perhaps the game is popular because its good? I'd much rather see more sandbox games than yet another generic RTS or FPS game... or even another generic fantasy RPG

As for the impossiblity of Spore ever making it - the game seems to be 90% finished. According to demostrations the basic sections of the game all exist, and the transitions between them too. I guess the rest is just tweaking, content adding, interface issues and bug squashing.

-Jam
              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Wright is probably the best designer in the industry - yes, even better than Sid.

Comment

Originally posted by vovan

I was thinking more of the opposite - a game that was a commercial failure, but was profoundly influential on how games were designed, etc would still NOT be a "flop".
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Carolus Rex
                    The masses are never wrong, eh?
                    Nope. Never wrong, as far as a business is concerned.
                    XBox Live: VovanSim
                    xbox.com (login required)
                    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                    Spore page

Comment

From ign:

The completely awesome part about that is that all of the creatures that you encounter will be creatures that someone else designed on his computer. Spore isn't an online game, but it has some aspects of being one. Anybody who creates content in their version of Spore will have it automatically uploaded onto a master server (an optional feature) and then downloaded onto other computers running the game without ever having to worry about an interface, giving a near endless array of player created content. The system is even smart enough to fill out the ecosystem of the planet. So if there's some sort of niche creature missing from the system, the game will look through the database and pull down a player-created creature which fills that void.

Comment

WOW!
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Cool, can you take over the universe?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

If youre building planetary civs, how could you NOT have the possibility of interstellar war? Though I suspect it would be more EUish war, not a detailed combat model.

Comment

Well until the Sims Nuclear War expansion that doesn't have proper war.

Comment

Working...
                                X