FG: Mastermind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FG: Mastermind

Anyone remember this game? It makes an excellent FG, IMO.

Master Mind

The Rules:

The "setter" chooses a pattern of four pegs, each peg being one of six colors:
    Blue, Red, Orange, Green, Yellow, and Purple. IE, RYRG would be red/yellow/red/green. You may use a color as many times as you like.

The guessers, ie the FG crowd, have 10 guesses to get it right. An update occurs between each guess.

Each guess is updated by presenting up to four pegs, black or white, representing how close the guesses were. Each peg of a correct color gets at least a white peg; if it is also in the right spot in order, it gets a black peg. The black/white pegs are not in any order, and they do not denote *which* pegs are in which spot.

For example, using RYRG as the correct answer:

GGGG gets B (one green is in the right spot)
    RRRR gets BB (two reds, both in the right spot)
    RYRY gets BBB (two reds and a yellow, all correct spots)
    YRYR gets WWW (two reds and a yellow, none in right spot)
    RYYR gets BBW (two reds and a yellow, two of which in the right spot)
    RGYR gets BWWW (all four colors right, only the initial R is in the right spot)
    etc.

You may not get any "answer" pegs at all in any given guess, or you may get all four, or any combination of them. Remember, getting no pegs is often more useful then getting one or two pegs, as that eliminates several colors.

The FGers may and should discuss possibilities before a final guess is made each time, although anyone at any time may make a guess. You may not make more than one guess for every three consecutive guesses, however (ie, guess-no-no-guess is fine).

Winner: This game is more collaborative than Hangman, but nonetheless the "final answerer" is considered the winner (whomever gets it right). If nobody gets it right, then the setter gets a point. I will probably keep these points separately, as this game is more "setter vs. guesser" than most games.

I'll start Please feel free to guess at any time, I'm going to bed so whomever's guess is listed first will be answered by me tomorrow.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Shouldn't you post your combination of pegs in a password-protected .zip file so that no-one can accuse you of cheating or changing it? Then, even if the game turns out to be boring or unpopular, we can at least play at trying to guess your password.

Comment

But you could do the same thing in Hangman, and we've never worried about it there...

Comment

I would prefer it to be one on one instead of hangman style
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I'd gladly join this one, it sounds like it has some promise.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I'm not sure I want another GUESSING type FG game.
            I'm still take abuse for allowing hangman from my peers.
            And in hindsight I should have shut it down day 1 before it got entrenched.
            I refuse to take abuse about another game.

I'll give it some thought, but the odds are not good.

Give me a reason to do otherwise.

If there is consensus to replace hangman with this, I'll do it in a second.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
              I'm not sure I want another GUESSING type FG game.
              I'm still take abuse for allowing hangman from my peers.
              And in hindsight I should have shut it down day 1 before it got entrenched.
              I refuse to take abuse about another game.

Comment

Mafia is a guessing type game.

Comment

To be honest I think Hangman's had its day. Close it down. There can't be many more words left in the dictionary anyway
                  1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                  That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                  Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                  Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I'd love to close it down.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think Rah's right in that closing it down now it is a traditional game would be wrong, even if closing it down was the right decision initially, which is debatable.

Comment

Yes it would have been a judgement call. My judgement not debatable
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Obviously it was, as you decided to allow it and have posted some doubts.

Comment

Personally, I think Hangman has run its course, and its feeding tube needs to be pulled. I mean... it's had 20(!) threads.

It's not like anyone's going to catch up to DrSpike's point total anyways.

And I remember playing Mastermind when I was younger... what a great game. Make the Switch!!!

Comment

Hmmm...I think the switch might be a nice idea, since there's much more potential for an Enhanced Graphics Edition of Mastermind than for Hangman...

Comment

Working...
                              X