Hangman: The Forum Game, Edition XX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Existing rule 2 and 3.

2. Updates must be posted within 24 hours of each other, and will occur in sets of 2, except for the final 2 guesses, which will be updated individually. An update must also occur after each word guess.

3. Any letters guessed after the conditions for an update set out in rule 2 have been met, but before the actual update, will be ignored, and will not carry over to the next set of guesses.

Proposal: Rule 3 should be:

3. Any letters or words guessed after the conditions for an update set out in rule 2 have been met, but before the actual update, will be ignored, and will not carry over to the next set of guesses.

This is to bring words guesses in line with the constraint on letter guessing, to give the game some sense of order.

All in favour say "DrSpike we hail thee o' lord of Hangman"

All against say "Shut up DrSpike you stupid idiot - we don't need your stinkin' rules"

Comment

Why not just:

3. Any guesses made after the conditions for an update set out in rule 2 have been met, but before the actual update, will be ignored, and will not carry over to the next set of guesses.
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Shut up DrSpike you stupid idiot - we don't need your stinkin' rules

Comment

Have you had too much to drink, civman?

Why so angry?
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
            Why not just:

3. Any guesses made after the conditions for an update set out in rule 2 have been met, but before the actual update, will be ignored, and will not carry over to the next set of guesses.
            I thought of that, but awkward people will say it's unclear whether it means both word and letter guesses. Better to be as precise as in my version if we are updating.

You didn't vote.

Comment

_ _ _ _ _ E _ I _ _

10 guesses remaining

Incorrect guesses: AR
              Smile
              For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
              But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

N

Comment

T

Comment

As I said before, I do not support preventing consecutive word guesses, as they generally only happen when there's 2 possible words left (or 3 possible, or whatever), and preventing them often will mean affecting who wins by when the update occurs.

Some of us can't play this as often as others, and that means that, say, if I noticed Drogue had a possible word here, but you had guessed (incorrectly), I couldn't guess my correct word, and meaning I end up losing because Drogue won't be up again until I'm at work tomorrow ...

I don't think that spam-word-guesses have occured much since I've been here, and I don't think preventing them is necessary. You're throwing the baby out with the bathwater, is all. If you are worried about spam-word-guesses, then just say that the GM may ignore guesses after the first at his discretion, if and only if he feels that they are spammy and not intended as legitimate word guesses. (Yes, some of you have a problem with this, but it's just your rule, with some leeway for the GM to accept word guesses, not a dangerously open ended thing.)
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Furthermore, the way you worded it, it sounds as if a legitimate word guess couldn't even happen now, since 2 letters have been guessed.

Basically, the question I see here is, are you going to limit this game, realistically, to only occasional participation by those of us who only have a few hours to play a day, and almost never win thereby? Or are you going to run an open game with a reasonable chance for anyone to win who sees a word guess that's probably right?
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

_ _ _ _ _ E _ I T _

7 guesses remaining

Incorrect guesses: ARN
                        Smile

Comment

H
                          Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                          I am of the Horde.

Comment

COMPLEXITY
                            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                              You're throwing the baby out with the bathwater, is all. If you are worried about spam-word-guesses, then just say that the GM may ignore guesses after the first at his discretion, if and only if he feels that they are spammy and not intended as legitimate word guesses.
                              That is so the worst of all worlds, especially in a game where the GM has a stake in the outcome.

We either take them, or we don't. No half assed measures please.

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                                COMPLEXITY

From 3 letters, nicely done.
                                Smile

Comment

Working...
                                X