Rise of Legends - A spiritual successor of RoN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rise of Legends - A spiritual successor of RoN

I just read on a Norwegian game site, that BigHugeGames has begun making a new game called Rise of Legends. It's a spiritual sequel to RoN, but not RoN2. It sounds like a RTS version of that old Civ game with magic, was it Master of Magic it was called? Don't remember right now. Anyway, there will be a "steampunk" world, where sciance and magic meet, and we'll guide a civ through history and glory. So far only two of the civs are mentioned, a Vinci civ, based on sciance and mechanics of the Leonardo da Vinci type, and one called Alim, a arabic inspired civ based on magic.

I haven't been able to find anything on the BHG site, but it's supposed to be some good pics there someplace, according to gamer.no, the Norwegian site I found this on. According to BHG's site however, Computer Gaming World will have a preview in their latestr magazine.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

I found the page on BHG's site:

Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Absolutely not my preferred setting, I prefer historical RTS games, but this might actually be very good. RoN had great gameplay and deserved the awards it got. If this thing plays like RoN, it's probably worth it.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Winter season lineup:

Civ4
        RoL
        AoE3
        B&W2
        Legion 2
        GalCiv 2

Damn, I'd better start saving
        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Now that looks like an RTS worth playing. Steampunk

Finally - a RTS that looks like it has some originality.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

mmm... another RTS...

brian, stop with this madness and go work on SMAC 2!!!
            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

i guess it was inevitable that he wouldnt stick with history. Still the pattern seems odd for MS affiliate studios - Ensemble did history, then fantasy with AOM, and BHG started with history and now steampunk/fantasy. OTOH it kinda makes sense - when Ensemble was doing fantasy, BHG was doing history. Now Ensemble is bringing out AOE3, back to history, and BHG is doing something different. Seems like MS wants two RTS at once, and wants one history themed and one non-history themed.

When I hear steampunk I think Arcanum, which i never played. Has anyone done this setting in a strategy game?
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

AoM was still more history than most fantasy RTS games. I mean, the game wasn't entirely fantasy, having real units and such, and the mythologies and gods used were real ancient mythos.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                  AoM was still more history than most fantasy RTS games. I mean, the game wasn't entirely fantasy, having real units and such, and the mythologies and gods used were real ancient mythos.
                  yah, well Elves and dwarves were real old Norse mythos, but any game that has 'em we treat as fantasy. No?
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Not really . And there were no elves in AoM . It's a mythology game, not a fantasy one. Fantasy is LOTR type BS, or Warcraft, or Starcraft.

Comment

so if its based on creatures imagined by the ancient norse its a fantasy game, if its based on creatures imagined by the ancient Greeks and Romans, its a mythology game, and if its based on creatures imagined by Japanese, its a PS2 game?

Comment

You nailed it!

Comment

Why this?
                          I hate fantasy games
                          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                            Now that looks like an RTS worth playing. Steampunk

Finally - a RTS that looks like it has some originality.
                            Thing is it's not really the setting that needs the most innovation.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                              so if its based on creatures imagined by the ancient norse its a fantasy game, if its based on creatures imagined by the ancient Greeks and Romans, its a mythology game, and if its based on creatures imagined by Japanese, its a PS2 game?
                              That about sums it up. And if it's based on creatures imagined by the Russians, it's a drinking game.

Comment

Working...
                              X