Space Empires V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Empires V

The screenies are making me drool uncontrollably.

click it

Click on the SE:V link at the top and then the gallery.

I was going to just post the pics, but did not know if that was cool.
    We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Hey, look... a Space Empires thread! Good idea!

Yeah, the screenshots look good... but I'm a little bit worried it's going to get a bit bogged down in micromanagment. Don't get me wrong - I like micromanagement, but it has to justify itself (and I'm fairly confident that it will in SE:V) but we'll have to wait and see. What worries me the most is the screenshot showing someone placing buildings on a planetary map... EDIT: Actually, I seem to of been mistaken... it's really a screenshot of ground combat.

Anyways is anyone intersted in playing a PBEM game of Space Empires IV? There's also a good website for finding/hosting PBEM games here.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I thought that about that screenie too, but I went back and looked again and saw that it said ground combat, but that title may be misleading since it looked like building placement mode as well.

I one freaking thing I hated most about acsendancy, err, I mean besides the weak AI.

Yeah, I saw your editted post in the OT thread, were you just pimping the PBEM?
      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

What prompted me to make the thread was a desire for PBEM, but it was also intended for a general discusion of all thingsSpace Empires.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Okay, I'm worried that the ai will still be crap.

I can't be buggered to play PBEM (well never tried, but seems like it would take forever) or play on-line, and I'm a little too old for lan parties.

Comment

It has been over a month and Aaron has not posted anything, so it is slow going at this point.

I did not play as much IV as I did III, but I will at least get V and see how it goes.

Now the AI could not be as bad as Ascendancy and I like that game (still have it). You could see digs next to the city that had never been used late in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
              Hey, look... a Space Empires thread! Good idea!

Yeah, the screenshots look good... but I'm a little bit worried it's going to get a bit bogged down in micromanagment. Don't get me wrong - I like micromanagement, but it has to justify itself (and I'm fairly confident that it will in SE:V) but we'll have to wait and see. What worries me the most is the screenshot showing someone placing buildings on a planetary map... EDIT: Actually, I seem to of been mistaken... it's really a screenshot of ground combat.

Anyways is anyone intersted in playing a PBEM game of Space Empires IV? There's also a good website for finding/hosting PBEM games here.
              Didn't the other Space Empires have buildings placed on a planetary map, or was that some other game? I seem to recall playing an old game with planetary stuff that looked similar, just older graphics...

Comment

I've only played Space Empires IV, but there where no planetary maps in that game.

Imperium Galactica 2 had planetary development like that, but it had pretty good graphics. Maybe you're thinking of the first (which I haven't played)

Fragile Allegiance also comes to mind, where you can build bases on asteroids.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

IG2 (well, the demo) is what I'm thinking of. Thanks

Comment

SE has a construction queue and there you can select the facilities. It shows what structures exist on that planet. It is only a bunch of icons in a grid.

Comment

What to you make of that screenie that says combat, VMXA1? And also, what took you so long to reply to this thread....you are like slipping or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy
                        edit.......

and I'm a little too old for lan parties.
                        you can never be too old for lan parties, just need the right crowd.

I liked SEIV, still its just seems to lack that final magical ingedient to make it an all time classic like Moo.

And i enjoyed both IG1+2. I didn't mind the planet management of IG2 that much - sure after you had 20 planets or so it could get a little busy(i never trust auto-build options in these kind of games), but it did look beautiful. I remember just panning the screens around to get lovely sunrise lens flare shots of my cities

I'm glad they are going with SEV - and i'm not sure what to make of the screen shot, it does look like building placement, but i wouldn't be against that on principle - just depends how it's done.
                        'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
                          you can never be too old for lan parties, just need the right crowd.
                          Yeah, just haven't found that group yet, and the cowgirl would probably not be happy with me spending tons o' time at one. I suggested to one of my gaming buddies here at work that we get together and play something.

He said, "What game?"
                          I said (and I don't stutter often), "St-ttarcraft."
                          He (being more of a twitch Xbox guy) said, "What is that?"
                          I explained, he was not interested, but I didn't even like starcraft, I only suggested it becasue that would be a game that neither of us had played.

Now whenever I get too PC game geeky with him, he just looks at me and says, "St-ttarcraft."

Also loaned him CIV3 conquests and he did not get it...way to complicated for him.

Anyway, I'm just hoping that this iteration of SE will have some good ai.

Comment

good story

i'm afraid your friend may be a terminal case if he is into xbox live, I doubt you will get him to play anything of substance.
                            'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

What is even funnier is that he talked me into getting an xbox, basically it had a fight game on it that I wanted, I loaned that to him, and he didn't like it.

Last week he was going on and on about Forza racing, and this week it is star wars legos.

I'm really not impressed with the graphics on the xbox, but sports games are generally bettor on consoles.

Comment

Working...
                              X