Preview of the next Diablo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preview of the next Diablo

Here's a preview of Hellgate: London, basically the next Diablo. The developers are ex Blizzard employees.

Chief creative officer Erich Schaefer discusses this upcoming game from the creator of Diablo II.
    Attached Files
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Mmm nice... glands
    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Yet another infantile FPS game made by adolescent boys for adolescent boys.
      There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Yet another infantile FPS game made by adolescent boys for adolescent boys.
        It looks like a FPS, but it ain't one. Its like Diablo but with a first-person view. That said, it will probably be as infantile as Diablo was.
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo

It looks like a FPS, but it ain't one. Its like Diablo but with a first-person view. That said, it will probably be as infantile as Diablo was.
          Oh I'll most likely buy it. Blizzard makes fun games, but my opinion will not change.
          There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Does that make you an adolescent boy then?

This is a game I will be keeping an eye on.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
              Does that make you an adolescent boy then?
              I almost posted something vulgar, but then I remembered this wasn't the OTF.

While I admit I should show more conviction, I like playing computer games.

Comment

I don't know about this one. I saw a preview some time ago and just couldn't make up my mind. Too many rpg's these days turn out to be shooters-in-sheeps-clothing ...

Comment

They call a RPG a first person game where you shoot at monsters. What's a FPS then? As far as I remember, you can find various weapons in FPS games. So they are just making a bit of "levelling up" and calling it an RPG? But then I go back to playing NetHack and ADOM rather than Diablo2 so I4m probably off the trend.
                  Clash of Civilization team member
                  (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                  web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I think this looks good. The people working on it have a great pedigree.

Comment

yeah they went with the 3rd person view to the 1st person view. I guess that makes the game more modern. But does it make it better?

it's supposed to take place on a futuristic earth. So there won't be magic in this game. The developers describe the weapons as being "magic hurling devices" (if I got that quote right). In essence, you will have a weapon that shoots a fireball instead of a spellcaster casting a fireball.

I'm a little more interested in guild wars, but I'll keep my eye on this one.

Comment

They call a RPG a first person game where you shoot at monsters. What's a FPS then? As far as I remember, you can find various weapons in FPS games. So they are just making a bit of "levelling up" and calling it an RPG?
                        In a FPS, whether you hit or not depends on the players mad skillz; in a FPRPG, whether you hit or not depends on your characters mad skillz.

Comment

It is not unprecedented - Deus Ex was a FPS with some RPG elements. Perhaps this game takes the idea to another level (no pun intended).
                          Last edited by Skanky Burns; April 29, 2005, 20:52.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Deus Ex had a seriously good storyline though (look who I'm telling ).

The Diablo storyline ... well, not to put too fine a point on it, lacks a litle something or other ...

I'll certainly have another look when it's released but I won't be getting my hopes up.

Comment

Without battle.net, it's going to be tough for it to gain an MP following.

Comment

Working...
                              X