Which game should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which game should I get?

Should I get Never Winter Nights Complete or Nexus: the Jupiter Incident?

I have an aversion to any computer games that are based on AD&D, although if it is really good, I could give it a shot. As for the other game, the blurb on the box doesn't tell me anything, and I have a sneaky suspicion that it has confused battleship for warship.
    Never Winter Nights Complete
    35.29%
    Nexus: Jupiter Incident
    11.76%
    Save your money, they both suck
    52.94%
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

if you dislike AD&D that much... I doubt you'll like NWN that much. What other RPG's do you like? If you like rpg's then get NWN. If not, then don't. haven't played the other game, so I can't say.

Comment

I bought NWN Platinum. Its OK, but I'm not gaga. I tried the original campaign and its pretty much hack and slash. Some NWN afficionados told me the other campaigns are better. I'll try them out someday.
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

The NWN you buy is only a small portion of it. The toolset and the numerous fan-made modules complement it enormously. It does seem to have an awful lot of depth but it is very AD&D-based.

Nexus also looks very good (I plan on getting a copy sometime soon) and I suspect you'd probably prefer it but I doubt it'll have anywhere near the same longevity...

Comment

I voted NWN.

But after reading about Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, I'd like to change my vote. This game looks good, really good. But then I'm also a fan of space simulators and this one looks like a 3d version of SFC.
          There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

For computer RPGs I like Wizardry 6-8. Also The Summoning and Superheroes of Hoboken (truly hilarious). I also played some of the Ultima series and one really old one called Questron.
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Qilue
              But then I'm also a fan of space simulators and this one looks like a 3d version of SFC.
              Ugh. Starfleet Command stinks. OTOH, Starfleet Battles, the boardgame it is based on, is excellent. I bought SFC on the strengths of SFB, and boy, was I upset.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Ugh. Starfleet Command stinks. OTOH, Starfleet Battles, the boardgame it is based on, is excellent. I bought SFC on the strengths of SFB, and boy, was I upset.
                I should rephrase, I've adored space sims ever since I played Elite+. So SFC's deficiencies didn't really bother me all that much.
                There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Elite

Comment

NWN!

Comment

Elite (if you've never played it, but then who hasn't? Er, apart from me - I've only ever played Frontier, but Iwatched my friends playing Elite for hours when I was younger ). Ask Child of Thor how to get it on PC.

Otherwise - NWN!.

Comment

Nexus, the Jupiter Incident gets my vote... but I recommend to try the MP demo or the SP demo beforehand so you're sure your system is up to it.
                        He who knows others is wise.
                        He who knows himself is enlightened.
                        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Hah, I got this game a couple of months back on Geo's reccommendation, and it is pretty awesome. If you have a really nice computer you can practically sit and gawp at it for a few hours. It has exactly the same "puts people off" point as NWN though - the original campaign. However like NWN its moddable and there are custom battles and campaigns and online games too. Not nearly as many as there are for NWN though.

Having spoken in praise of an excellent tactical space combat game, I'm still going to suggest you buy NWN. Basically DO NOT EVER PLAY THE ORIGINAL CAMPAIGN! Its not that bad, but its a bit of a waste of 40+ hours when you could be playing the SOU and HotU campaigns that come with it in the complete version, before hitting NWN Vault and the infinite glories of the modules to be found there. I've gotta stress this: A mod for NWN is not a modification. Its a module. Its a complete fully playable game of its own, with its own story, dialogues, scripts, rules, spells, locations, characters, hell even its own graphics, sounds...

Also its not AD&D rules. Its D&D 3rd Edition which are rather more interesting rules.

Oh hell, get both, I did.

-Jam
                          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I may eventually get both, though I don't have a money tree in my backyard

Comment

Then get NWN.

Comment

Working...
                              X