Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Gamestop buys EB

Originally posted by Verto

Oh my god EB might stop selling as many PC games which would only leave you with Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, KB, eBay, Amazon, CompUSA, Fry's, etc to buy from!!!!!
    arghh!! the selection at Walmart and Target is awful. KB is a toy store, ive never seen PC games there. CompUSA is not SO bad, but not as good as EB. And NONE of them sells used games. And no Frys for hundreds of miles.

Basically that leaves just online purchasing. Which is fine for us diehards, I suppose, but not real great for the hobby - no brick and mortar shelfspace means no impulse buys, and fewer new PC gamers.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I probably buy mostly from CompUSA due to proximity to work, but EB or GS are my secondary locations if compusa is out...

And don't complain so much about the sales people, it's their job to upsell things. Just say "no, thanks," and continue on; if they go significantly beyond that, then they're being annoying.
      It is a fact of life in retail sales that pretty much everywhere (in major corporate retail anyway) you are expected to upsell something or make a suggestion of some sort. Blame corporate america (or corporate wherever you live), if you like, but it's not the salesperson's fault. They're just trying not to get fired.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Gamestop buys EB

Originally posted by lord of the mark

arghh!! the selection at Walmart and Target is awful. KB is a toy store, ive never seen PC games there. CompUSA is not SO bad, but not as good as EB. And NONE of them sells used games. And no Frys for hundreds of miles.

Basically that leaves just online purchasing. Which is fine for us diehards, I suppose, but not real great for the hobby - no brick and mortar shelfspace means no impulse buys, and fewer new PC gamers.
        Then welcome your console overlords.

Comment

While it sucks that there will be one less copetitor and that there will be slightly less shelf space for PC games we should remember how large the PC market is and that retailors will pop up to service the market if there is money to make. Retail is one of the easiest industries to break into as a new company.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            While it sucks that there will be one less copetitor and that there will be slightly less shelf space for PC games we should remember how large the PC market is and that retailors will pop up to service the market if there is money to make. Retail is one of the easiest industries to break into as a new company.
            Yes, and circuit city has added game shelfspace in recent years. But all told I think the situation is not positive. Online sales grow too. But I think IF EB is lost, that will be a major blow, if not necessarily the death of PC gaming.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Spare us the drama. The death of PC gaming? I doubt EB Games is that significant a retailer as far as computer games are concerned. And I'm sure they will continue selling them anyway.

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Verto
                Spare us the drama. The death of PC gaming? I doubt EB Games is that significant a retailer as far as computer games are concerned.

Which is why i said "not necessarily" - but it is an important outlet.

And I'm sure they will continue selling them anyway.

Which was why I said "IF".

Seems to me you were responding a different post than what I wrote.

Comment

It's a good way of winning arguments.

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by lord of the mark
                    Originally posted by Verto
                    Spare us the drama. The death of PC gaming? I doubt EB Games is that significant a retailer as far as computer games are concerned.

Which is why i said "not necessarily" - but it is an important outlet.

And I'm sure they will continue selling them anyway.

Which was why I said "IF".

Seems to me you were responding a different post than what I wrote.
                    I don't know where you come up with those statistics, but they are wrong.

Comment

Games in general are a bigger business then movies or TV and PCs games have the largest market. However PC games also have the smallest margin while consul games have the largest margin thus the specialty retailers flock to were they can make the most money. That suites me fine just as long as there are still plenty of competitors locally or on the net were I can by the 2-3 games I buy per year.

With a target, best buy, walmart, kmart, fry's, curcuit city, EB, and game stop all near my house I've got plenty of local competition plus the net to keep them honest.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I was reading an article that said the top 2 selling game of all time are PC games. One is the Sims, what is the other?

Comment

World of Warcraft?
                          I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

hmm I was reading an article. And as of 2002 at least, Myst appears to be #2 seeing as the Sims surpassed Myst.

Comment

hmm, that can't be right. I'm reading another article that says Tetris for the gameboy has sold 32 million units.

that easily beats out any PC game.

And this was a console developer (or maybe a publisher) who said this. I think he's full of ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                                Games in general are a bigger business then movies or TV and PCs games have the largest market.
                                Sorry, no.

"Is the games industry bigger than the movie industry?
                                No. Movies are between 5-10X bigger, revenue-wise, world-wide, than games.

Misleading sources have often made the 'games are bigger than movies' claim, usually by comparing total U.S. video game software and hardware sales to U.S. domestic box office. This overstates video game sales (why include hardware sales - we don't include VCR and DVD player sales for the movie industry), understates movie sales (the box office is only a small source of movie sales now, DVD is much larger), and ignores the rest of the world, where movies hold an even greater edge on games in terms of revenues.

Worldwide video and PC retail game software sales in 2003 were between $16 and $18 billion (see elsewhere in this FAQ). Including rental and on-line revenues would increase this total by about $2-4 billion.

According to this site (http://www.factbook.net/wbglobal_rev.htm), worldwide movie box-office is $21.4 billion, and total movie sales (including box-office, DVD, VCR, and licensing for TV) is $180 billion. The latter figure may be slightly inflated, but movies are certainly between 5 and 10X as big as games, world-wide, and likely growing faster (recent game industry growth is ~4-6%, versus movie industry double digit growth - again see elsewhere in this FAQ for video games, and see http://www.factbook.net/wbglobal_rev.htm for movies.

U.S.-only box office for 2004 was $9.4 billion, meaning that the box-office alone (excluding DVD, rentals and the rest of it) handily beats the video-game industry in the U.S. (source : http://www.boston.com/ae/specials/20...f_2004?pg=full)

Overall U.S. movie industry revenues (for 2003, couldn't locate 2004 figures for all of these):

$Billions
                                Box Office $9.17
                                DVD Sales $11.6
                                VHS Sales $2.4
                                DVD and VHS rentals $6.8-8.2
                                Movie Pay-per-view $1.6
                                Rights Fees ? (Couldn't locate a number, but this is a non-trivial sum. It's what TNT, NBC, etc. pay to the studios to broadcast their movies)

source: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=450524

Total $31.6 to $33 billion, plus rights fees and anything else I've forgotten.

Remember that the movie industry generates substantial revenues not only in US/West Europe/Japan (as games do), but virtually all around the world (game revs outside those major markets are virtually nil). Markets like Latin America and Asia (aside from just Japan) generate substantial revenues for the movie industry."

Comment

Working...
                                X