What are some good demos to try?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adagio:
    I now remember it is "EMS memory" besides... but anyway I never needed that to play Syndicate since I played on an old computer. But I did change EMS for another game once, and it played correctly.
    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

hmm I downloaded the Anteitam demo from the Firaxis website. It doesn't appear to work properly with Windows XP .

I wanted to see if the civil war games are any good. oh well.

I really should keep an old computer hooked up with Windows 98 installed. Or do a dual OS (but those are annoying)

Comment

Demos suck. And they are so big these days you may as well download the game.

Comment

I prefer to pay for games. But I need to find out what games I like.

I want to try more strategy and war titles. But I'm not sure if I'll like the gameplay. Same with adventure games. I also want to try more action style rpg's. I heard vampire: bloodlines (can't remember the exact name of the game) is pretty good. But I'd like to try it out before shelling out $50 for a game that I find I can't win. Some actions games don't have pausing, and are just too quick for me. And some don't even have difficulty levels for those of us who aren't that good at fast action games . But if the game is no faster than crusader: No remorse, then I can do it. I had no problems beating that game.

It is possible I only like 2 types of games. Civ style TBS games, and rpg's (and I don't like all rpg's either). Other attempts at other genres have had horrible results (resulting in my losing $50). I tried RTS such as Command and Conquer and Black and White. I tried sports games such as Madden Football (which are fun, but I get bored of them too quickly). I've tried FPS such as Halo and Doom3 (the only one that was halfway fun was Battlefield: Vietnam- I may still get that game).

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
            I prefer to pay for games. But I need to find out what games I like.
            Then why don't you do as most people do:

Download the full game to see if it's worth your money... if it is worth it then buy it, if it's not then don't

I see nothing wrong with this... sometimes (often?) demoes doesn't really give you a good view on what the full game is... I have often seen demoes that was almost the same as the full game even though the demo stated the full game had much much much much much more
            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

well that's good in a way. Demos are to see if you like the gameplay and interface (which is important to me).

I played demos such as Rise of Nations. It gave me a good feel to what the game would be like. For a RTS, the gamplay wasn't bad. But there just wasn't enough there for me to purchase the game. I still prefer TBS games.

Comment

I see nothing wrong with this... sometimes (often?) demoes doesn't really give you a good view on what the full game is... I have often seen demoes that was almost the same as the full game even though the demo stated the full game had much much

And even on the contrary, there are awful demos that don't give you a feel for the gameplay or such. Like I hate EA demos of their sports games, they are generally horrible. Out of recent demos, I liked SWAT4. One mission with some equipment, gives a very good idea of what the game is like.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                  hmm I downloaded the Anteitam demo from the Firaxis website. It doesn't appear to work properly with Windows XP .
                  It's a great game, and, like it's predecessor Gettysburg, a patch is needed to play it on XP. Firaxis used to have the patch on their site, but I haven't looked there in a long time.
                  The 2 games (and a 3rd) are available together as Sid Meier's Civil War Collection, and only costs 20.00.
                  "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

yeah but I want to play the demo first. I'm wary of a real time wargame.

Comment

Working...
                    X