What are some good demos to try?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some good demos to try?

I'm looking for a new game, but I'm unwilling to spend money on it until I know if I like it or not. I've had a couple of duds the past few months. I want to try some demos.

And I'm looking to expand into other genres. I've never really played any wargames. Are there any demos for wargames? I'm also looking for strategy and rpg's of course. Also I'm kind of interested in adventure games, I've never played them (not since text adventures anyways), and I'd like to give them a try. Feel free to recommend other genres as well.

I'm only looking for games that have demos available for download.

Half-Life 2 .

Rome:Total War has a demo.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

i havent checked any recent demos, but wargames DO have demos. I played a demo of The Operational Art of War sometime back - the demo is the first couple of months of the Korea scenario, IIRC.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
        Half-Life 2 .

Rome:Total War has a demo.
        Half Life 2 sucks. Actually from what I heard of that steam thing, I want no part of it.

Comment

Here are some good demos:

Escape Velocity: Nova

A nice space RPG.

Spiderweb Software

More great RPG demos than you can shake a stick at (I would recommend starting with blades of avernum).

Dominions II

The world's best TBS game.

Comment

ahh cool, dominion II has a demo. I've been wanting to try that game.

Although I think I remember installing the demo before, and not being able to get it to work. I'll try again.

Comment

bump

Comment

Half-Life 2 doesn't suck, Steam does. You're right to want nothing to do with that piece of crap...
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

If you want to try an adventure game you should try the best one:

The Longest Journey

So far I haven't found anyone who likes adventure games who doesn't like that one
                  It is "old" but still the best looking adventure game around. I believe you can find it cheap these days. I know there's a demo to this game, but the demo doesn't really give anything (it's only one chapter of the... uhmm... 12 (?) chapters)
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Syndicate (it's so old... get the complete game since the subsequent misssions really get more serious. Demo here: http://eager.back2roots.org/DEMO/index.html#S)
                    Apparently "Syndicate Wars" (out in 1996) captured the feeling of the original. I played A"Syndicate: American Revolt", which is harder than Syndicate.

Corporate Machine, and Political Machine (games working in similar ways)

Capitalism 2
                    Last edited by Trifna; April 13, 2005, 07:22.
                    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Syndicate Wars is great, but doesn't work on modern computers

Comment

It does... but you need to use this old "EM memory" or something. This means to tweak something in some way I don't remember (convert some RAM to that I think)............. it was easy anyway.

You'd need to go on some IRC #help channel to ask.
                        Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Does that make it run slower? For me it runs with 100000+ fps (both WinXP and Win98SE)

Comment

I actually have syndicate wars. That game kicks my ass. I got stuck on this one mission, and just gave up

Comment

I would suggest Massive Assault, and its sequal Domination... just be careful when searching for the sequal, use 'Massive Assault: Domination' as the search string.

Comment

Working...
                              X