Abandonware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abandonware?

Anyone else go hunting through the web for emulators to play their favourite old arcade and home computer games?

I just finished an excellent Bomb Jack session.
    Only feebs vote.

I've got hundreds of roms, but I never have time to play them. I doubt if I ever will.
    Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

I never realized that Galaxian was such a crap game.

I can't believe how much I've lost my skills. I'm getting absolutely pwned at Sinistar which was my game for a couple of years.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

old games suck. I tried playing Wasteland. I probably would finish it, if it weren't for the horrible save system in that game.

Comment

Abandonware?
          ...is not allowed here

Comment

Winter Games ;=)
            Ah sweet Times.
            Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Originally posted by VJ

...is not allowed here
              Even when the games are so old that the computers they run on have not been produced for decades? I haven't seen anyone manically closing threads everytime we stray into nostalgia territory. We just don't link to sites.

I was amazed recently to discover that there were over five thousand games made for the Spectrum. I always thought I'd seen most of what was available for it, but I must have missed a good percentage completely.
              To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
              H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold

Even when the games are so old that the computers they run on have not been produced for decades? I haven't seen anyone manically closing threads everytime we stray into nostalgia territory. We just don't link to sites.

Theres nothing wrong with discussing the games. Whos to say someone playing it has even dled it? They could have dusted off something they bought retail in the day, or they could have bought it on ebay. Its just aggie used a hot button word in his thread title, but thats, er, par for the course, so to speak.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

I can't believe how much I've lost my skills. I'm getting absolutely pwned at Sinistar which was my game for a couple of years.
                  6 months ago I finally broke a million on Robotron: 2084, difficulty level 5, using the keyboard. Man was that tough - and on a game where I set the Georgia state "record" (35,000,000 points) back in 1982!

Comment

Many games have been officially abandoned by their copyright holders. That is the case for a lot of Spectrum games. It's just silly to complain about people downloading something that no one really has any great interest in selling, and which is now the preserve of hobbyists. These games are museum pieces now.

If they want to sue me for piracy, they can go ahead. Most of the original game cassettes are still sitting in my mother's cupboard.

Or better still, they could start a service allowing people to download working roms for a buck each (there is one, but the selection sucks).
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Many games have been officially abandoned by their copyright holders. That is the case for a lot of Spectrum games. It's just silly to complain about people downloading something that no one really has any great interest in selling, and which is now the preserve of hobbyists. These games are museum pieces now.

If they want to sue me for piracy, they can go ahead. Most of the original game cassettes are still sitting in my mother's cupboard.

Or better still, they could start a service allowing people to download working roms for a buck each (there is one, but the selection sucks).
                      I completely agree with all of that.

Doesn't change the fact that the owners don't like discussions of abandonware on this site.

Comment

That can be explained, Sinistar had a special directional joystick which most contemporary run-of-the-mill joysticks don 't have. There are a few DIY sites out there that will tell you how to achieve that unique "sinistar" feeling
                        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

I completely agree with all of that.

Doesn't change the fact that the owners don't like discussions of abandonware on this site.
                          Maybe if we discuss it, but don't mention the word "abandonware"

Asmodean
                          Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I've got a soft spot for Elevator Action myself. Nice graphics, nice gameplay, nice tune, nice challenge

I still remember when the first versions of MAME appeared around 97. Being able to play those games from the arcade on your PC, wow! If only for a brief moment of nostalgia (I lost interest in most after a few tries).

Who would have thought 15-20 years ago that you could play all those games from the arcade when you were a kid?

Isn't that a dream come true?
                            Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Re: Abandonware?

Anyone else go hunting through the web for emulators to play their favourite old arcade and home computer games?
                              I recently uhhh, found a floppy with this game... Gold of the Americas. Man, it's a good game.
                              XBox Live: VovanSim
                              xbox.com (login required)
                              Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                              Spore page

Comment

Working...
                              X