Heroes of Might and Magic IV; the immortality potion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heroes of Might and Magic IV; the immortality potion

A friend of mine uses (and I've started using it as well)
    a monsterous tactic of advancing the hero in the combat direction, and equipping him with a large number of immortality potions.
    I was shocked when I've seen it first time. You don't need no army, You just go through the map with your hero and crush everything on your way. Plusses are also that You don't have to worry the castle You've conquered is of another type - You can buy immortality potions in any of them. Also, if You're loosing, it's enough to run away, and your opponent gets no experience points!
    With grandmaster of all combat skills, You're almost unbeatable. You have to kill the hero twice in one turn,
    OR cancel the immortality spell, or count that he'll get bad luck and won't be able to drink the potion.
    Anyway, it's a great tactic.
    However, You can deal with it - also by copying it.
    I've played against my friend several times and it's a draw: he won 3 times, and so did I.
    One was especially interesting. It featured my friend having all castles (with temporary exceptions), and my low-ability, but well-armed hero escaping, surviving,
    and getting experience until it could set a final fight against his monsterous hero
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Good tactic vs the AI but poor tactic vs human.
    Try that stunt with me Heresson and you'll soon learn the folly of such approach.

Comment

Has anyone got HoMM 3? I'm wondering, is it possible to get all the magic skills on your secondary skill slots (ie. fire, water, earth, wind or whatever they were). Asking this because I haven't been able to got the 4th one in any of my games - even when I try to get only them from huts in campaigns. I'll always get the other 3 while there's still 3-4 slots free but will run out of slots before getting the 4th one.

Comment

I think I remember that happening to me a couple times. I assume that you can get all four secondary skills, because there is nothing to demonstrate otherwise, but...
        "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

I got all four secondary skills on a number of occasions. However, the probability of getting secondary skills depends heavily on the type of hero. Some hero types have zero probability to get certain magic secondary skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Ljube-ljcvetko
            Good tactic vs the AI but poor tactic vs human.
            Try that stunt with me Heresson and you'll soon learn the folly of such approach.
            How do You deal with that?
            I have a couple of ways:
            - do the same
            -steal enchantement, cancellation or a spell that forbids movement
            -and just mass attack

Last time I just created giant illusion of titans with my dear geenies and crushed him.
            Middle East!

Comment

That's a good way of dealing with it. Also, have more that one hero in your army. One for speed, one for tactics (even all three of them), one for magic. That way you can almost certainly negate the advantages of the single hero approach.

Also, creatures left alone in the castles are easy prey for your big army. These solo heroes who improved only combat skills are usually slow so you can always catch them or outrun them.

Comment

Thanks, ljub. I'll try playing a huge map with a Wizard some day...

Comment

Originally posted by Ljube-ljcvetko
                  That's a good way of dealing with it. Also, have more that one hero in your army. One for speed, one for tactics (even all three of them), one for magic. That way you can almost certainly negate the advantages of the single hero approach.
                  Not necessarily. I used to use 2 heroes (one for magic, other for magic, but mostly for fight) until I started playing with him. But with 2 main heroes, I get 2 ones that can not face his You know. There/s 2x less experience for each of them.

Also, creatures left alone in the castles are easy prey for your big army. These solo heroes who improved only combat skills are usually slow so you can always catch them or outrun them.
                  No, He usually trains some other thing as well, mostly scouting...
                  And He does keep more than one heroes, just one superb one. In last game, He used to have at least three leaders, one on 23th level, other on 11th, third on 1st.
                  Middle East!

Comment

Depends of course on the world size, the level etc.
                    But according to my experience it's always better to have 2-3 heroes, one fast (grandmaster pathfinding) one master tactician.

Comment

I've started replaying Heroes III. Brilliant game. I'm almost tempted to try to find Heroes IV, but I was mightily disappointed with it last time...

Comment

Working...
                      X