Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone up for a good old-fashioned Story Thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up for a good old-fashioned Story Thread?

Now, if I remember correctly its been almost exactly six years since Imran (I'm pretty sure it was Imran) started the first Apolyton story thread, Earth 3000. This was a story thread that lasted quite some time and spawned innumerable successors before being moved from OT to the Story & Dip forum where they slowly died off due to having a S&D ghetto made it much harder to recruit new players as well as the passing of some of the old story threads greats, such as Porphy and LordStone from poly. The Frontier forums and their precursers at SidGames generally sucked up a lot of of the Story Threading energy and you don't have too much left on 'poly these days except for some pretty anemic threads over on S&D.

So, I thought that as one of the orginal participants (go Davinian Federation!), I'd try to restart the old 'poly Story Thread tradition, on what should be their natural home, the Other Games forum. After all, the other games forum already has a good number of healthy vaguely story thread-esque games and the traffic is not so heavy that a story thread would be instantly drowned (like on the OT) nor so light that it'd be hard to find participants (like on the S&D forum).

Now what sets old-fashioned story threads apart from what we have now on S&D, Frontier-style story forums, micronations, democracy games etc. etc. etc.????

-An emphasis on story, this meant that things were kept in-character almost all the time and that for things to happen an in-character story post was generally posted about the event. Fiction was used as more of a model rather than newspaper articles.
    -No hard rules of any sort.
    -No obsession with painstakingly-research orders of battle. More story, less minutiae (sp?).
    -Generally light or nonexistant moderation (which was often a problem).

My personal preferance would be to restart the old Earth 3000 story thread, since that was the grand-daddy of them all. The basic backstory was that WW III had almost lead to the extinction of the human race, and that by the year 3000 humanity had just barely clawed its way back up to Renaissance-era tech, with human society much changed from what it had been pre-WW III.

Anyone up for anything like this? Any other ideas?
    Stop Quoting Ben

I prefer the structured NES ones.

Comment

Nobody appreciates the old days
      *cries*
      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

/me pats Boshko on the back
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
          * Urban Ranger pats Boshko on the back

UR, what happened? Why did you just leave the Cold War NES in the middle of it?

Comment

Working...
          X