FG: THE LIST for Society VII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FG: THE LIST for Society VII

After the current game of Galactic Overlord ends, Society will be making a comeback. I've started thinking about some ideas for the new version, it's likely to be quite different. Before I start writing rules though, let's get some ideas: what do you want to see in the game?
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Just to get you all started, here's the premise of the new Society game:

It's 1945. Your nation has just gained independence from colonial rule and you've landed yourself a nice job in the main office of the Presidential Palace.

Now it's time to embark on the long road of development. What industries to start? Do you build up an army to steal your neighbor's oil, or do you invest in education in hopes of a high tech miracle? Will you jump into the hottest but most crowded market, or specialize? Do you join the Axis of Evil, or do you allow those democratic reforms?

This game will be played through a fixed number of "five year plans" and will be won by the nation with the highest level of development at the conclusion.

Some design goals include intuitive strategies modelled on real world situations, no numbers larger than 100, and turns taking a maximum of 5 minutes to play and 1 hour to process. The atmospeher of cooperative competition is also going to preserved, as is the ability to nuke people into oblivion.
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

It's 1945. Your nation has just gained independence from colonial rule and you've landed yourself a nice job in the main office of the Presidential Palace.
      so far so good

Now it's time to embark on the long road of development. What industries to start? Do you build up an army to steal your neighbor's oil, or do you invest in education in hopes of a high tech miracle? Will you jump into the hottest but most crowded market, or specialize? Do you join the Axis of Evil, or do you allow those democratic reforms?
      some of these things might be very dificult to do, how would you keep tract of resources or education?

This game will be played through a fixed number of "five year plans" and will be won by the nation with the highest level of development at the conclusion.
      So no victory by conquest?

Some design goals include intuitive strategies modelled on real world situations, no numbers larger than 100, and turns taking a maximum of 5 minutes to play and 1 hour to process. The atmospeher of cooperative competition is also going to preserved, as is the ability to nuke people into oblivion.
      no numbers over 100
      intuitive
      nukes
      What type of idiot quotes himself
      -paramir

Comment

I say we should get someone to program a client based on original society rules. People to send their orders to it and it would do all the mathy and mappy work, we wouldn't even need a forum.

Or we could make new rules.
        I changed my signature

Comment

Will it be simpler?

Comment

It will be superificially simple but in reality complex. Orders will be simple- there are going to be 2 parts, budgeting, which is done by percentage, and builds, which override budget and include things such as nukes, special projects etc.

A sample display would be:
            Economy: 53
            Education: 66
            Social Development: 62
            Military: 15 (4 projectable)
            2 nukes
            Industries: Steel (Lvl 2), Computers (1)

A sample order would be:
            Budget: 50% social 30% economic 20% military
            Industry to develop: Steel

And then there'd be all sorts of complicated formulas, etc. These would determine, for instance, how well your steel and computers sell based on how crowded the market is and how good your product is. But a spreadsheet would do all the math, so the GM wouldn't have much to do either.

The option to win by conquest will still exist. Attackers will be able to go after anyone, but will need "projectable" military, which would cost more.

Comment

Working...
            X