Imperialism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imperialism

I've been thinking about buying Imperialism (1998) by SSI. I've heard good things about it, and considering it's genre I though I could find some info on 'poly about it. Surprise! There is none! So, is this game worth my 5 bucks and the time to learn it?
    I changed my signature

Check the other games archive. We've had several threads on Imp2, im sure we must have at least one on original Imp at some point.

Ive got Imp2 and its very good if youre not intimidated by a complex economic model, and a fairly abstract historical game that nevertheless captures a lot of historical flavor and insight.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I searched and all I found was a thread about classic games with no mention of Imperialism.
      I changed my signature

Comment

Check out those two sites to get you started. I have both Imperialism and Imperialism 2 and they are good games. A tough learning curve at first but you will like them if you like strategy games. I thought that Imperialism was a little easier than Imperialism 2.
        signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

heres the most recent imp2 thread
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Gamecube64
            I searched and all I found was a thread about classic games with no mention of Imperialism.
            dont search. Open up the Other Games archive. sort by thread title, by clicking on "thread". Go to page 43, where you will find over a dozen threads on one Imp or the other.

The other games archive is magnificent treasure of gaming information. Of course its easier to use if people put game names in the title. Obscure titles make it rather less useful. As do unflagged forum games.

Comment

Its pretty good and gets the historical aspect of what many of the driving factors of the colonisation of the america's was about.
              Be aware that Imperialism and Imperialism2 have some differences. Imp2 looks much better than Imp1 imo, and the whole way it uses the new world to affect the old world makes its very interesting to play.
              Both are pretty hard+demanding games to play with a fairly steep learning curve. It took me many attempts to start to be able to compete with the AI.

heres a link:

sadly the best site in that link i think doesn't work anymore (its slap's one)
              'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Imp is definitely worth your bucks as far as I'm concerned. It's economic model is only beaten by Victoria's though it's somewhat weak on diplomatic features. (I'll assume you're not looking after neat graphics either)
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I decided to buy Settlers 2: Gold Edition instead, I played a demo for it a few years back and like it. Maybe I'll get Imperialism some other time.
                  I changed my signature

Comment

well then you can join our settlers 2 thread. Though I must say that so far (im still a settlers2 newbie) i much prefer Imp2. Though Im rather partial to games with a more or less serious take on history.

Comment

It's a while since i played Imp1 but i've been enjoying imp2 on my XP box since i finally got it to work. My recollection is that Imp is a good game but that Imp2 is better. Imp 2 takes away a lot of the tedious management and that it's much better for the allocation of resources.

The tactical combat in both is a bit disappointing but the economic model makes up for it. Diplomacy is limited but it's easy to see the cause and effect of your actions.

Comment

Working...
                      X