Alternate GO- discussion, signup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate GO- discussion, signup

The idea of this game is to introduce new concepts to GO w/o messing with the original, as of yet anyway. I've got several ideas that I'd like to try, but anyone is certainly welcome to throw in other ideas. Some ideas I plan to include unless players are strongly and overwhemingly against them.

And if there isn't much interest generated then we'll just leave it as a discussion thread only.

Since I plan to do a lot more writing (like Ljube's games) I doubt I'll include a graphical representation like Smiley's. But depending on how his works and how easily I can adapt it, I might do both.

The central theme will be built around an old board game, which most of you probably haven't heard of, Star Fleet Battles. You probably have heard of it's computer game successor, Star Fleet Command. In this game, tho, there won't be any of the usual suspects (Feds, Klingons, etc.) since those were worn thin last time. It will be a Lyran civil war with a few of their neighbors involved instead.

The races will all have some small bonuses and penalties, like assassins.
    ---------------

Proposals:

A. SPIES

1. As an alternate idea to the anti-spy center, using a spy in a counter-espionage role that lasts for (2?) turns.

2. Unknown spy origin

3. Spies can gather spy/shield stockpile info. This would be instead of normal sabotage of operations.

B. BASES & BP GENERATION

1. Maximum build/turn for bases; ex. twice their BP generation. So a regular base could build 10 tonnes of ships/turn, given sufficient BP's. problem: extra complication for GM and players to track.

2. Allow captured bases to build 1 ff/turn. This would fit with the idea of a build limit, and give players in an underdog position a better chance of regrouping.

3. Remove the build limit on bases: Most players stop at 5 anyway.

4. Allow for 4 classes of bases: captured, starbase, battlestation, and space fortress, as well as upgrades between each. Captured generates 2 BP, SB=3, BS=4, and SF=5. Cost to build is x3 the BP generation. Upgrade is 3 BPs each, except for captured to starbase which costs 5 BP. problem: As above, only more so.

5. Winner of a combat gets Salvage, which equals 1/20 of enemy BP destroyed.

6. Bases may be destroyed. A player might do so if he feels that he will not hold onto them for much longer. Players would announce this in their PM along with orders. A destroyed base is worth 4 BPs, in addition to the 2/5 generated that turn. The BPs are not available until the following turn, and then only if the player is not forced to withdraw from the base area.

C. COMBAT

1. Allowing for an 'attack' to defend an ally. It counts as an attack, but allows players to combine fleets for defence in a given location where an attack is suspected.

2. Fleeing FTTD: Allow for players to announce in their orders to flee FTTD if attacked (not when attacking). This would happen if they take more damage in the 1st round than give. They then flee automatically, foregoing any additional rounds of combat. The downside is that flee all their bases and in addition the attacker gets one additional segment to assault them at x2 strength.

3. New combat matchups: Currently the LTF matchups are x2 vs. an opponent when different weapon types meet; i.e. lasers are x2 vs. fighters.

I don't like it because one can get results WAY beyond the scope of their fleet.
    I also think it's silly when 0 lasers meet 20 torpedos the torpedos get a bonus.

I feel that instead of those weapons doing more damage, the others should do less. So I propose that in a situation where different weapon types meet, the inferior one does 1/2 damage, up to twice the superior weapon amount.

FE, 20 lasers - 60 fighters
    old method-> 40 L - 60 F
    new method-> 20L - 40 F
    Because twice the amount of the lasers is 40, so half of that amount of fighters does no damage.
    If their were 30 lasers then:
    30L- 60F becomes
    30L - 30F

And if there were 50 lasers:
    50L - 60F becomes
    50L - 30F

4. Lasers re-examined: Lasers, combined with tactics, have an unfair advantage IMHO. Lasers with tactics of close in, spread out, will equal or defeat ANY OoB of ANY weapon when matched up. And if the fool forgets to back off, it's even worse. Consider( all orders close in, spread out):

100L - 100L
    all tactics are equal, no damage to either.

100L - 100F
    with back off: both sides =200, no damage.
    normal distance selected for fighters: Fighters take 200 damage.
    Close in selected for fighters: Fighters take 600(!) damage.

100L - 100T
    with back off: both sides =100, no damage.
    with normal: torps take 100 damage.
    with close in: torps take 300 damage.

Therefore I'd like to make this change:
    1 side close in =*1 1/2 damage
    2 sides close in =*2 damage.

1 side back off =*.75 damage
    2 sides back off =*.5 damage

D. RACIAL MODS

1. Lyrans: All ships carry the expanding sphere generator (ESG). This weapon damages all solid material it comes in contact with. It has no effect on energy weapons.
    Usage: For one segment (and one ONLY) per combat a Lyran player can mark an OoB with a (*). This indicates the round he wishes to use his ESGs. So an OoB might look like:
    LL*T-FFT
    indicating the player wishes to use it in the 2nd segment.
    Game effect: The ESG will reduce the strength of the enemy's fighters or torpedos to 75% that segment. It has no effect on lasers.
    Penalties: Lyran players may not ally with any Kzinti or Hydran players. Certain clans start out with non-aggression pacts with other clans.
    ESGs cannot be used with the 'bunch together' command, as they will dissipate each other on contact.

2. Kzintis: Kzintis use many, many missiles on al their ships. To represent this, every 10 BPs spent by a Kzinti player (on anything) nets them 1 free torpedo frigate.
    Penalties: Kzintis may never ally with any Lyran player, with the exception of the Lyran Democratic Republic (LDR). If there are multiple Kzinti players, they start with non-aggression pacts towards each other.

3. Hydrans: Almost all hydran ships are carrier hybrids. To represent this, every 10 BPs spent by a Hydran player on anything nets them 1 free fighter frigate.
    Penalties: As the Kzinti, Hydrans may never ally with a Lyran clan, with the exception of the LDR. There should be only one hydran player.

4. Lyran Democratic Republic: Once a 'southern' clan of the empire, the people overthrew their count and established a free republic.
    They have all the abilities of their Lyran counterparts.
    Penalties: The nobles of the Lyran clans fear the ideology of the LDR will spread thruout the empire, while other races fear a united Lyran empire is most likely if those same ideals spread. Because of this, the LDR may not ally with ANY Lyran player. They may ally with the Hydrans and Kzintis. They may not ally with the Andromedans either. They start with a non-aggression pact with the ISC, who approves of their non-aggressive ways.

5. The Interstellar Concordium (ISC): A race that 'conquered' the known galaxy, in that they attempted to pacify all races after the Great War. The conquest was less than 100% successful and the same races had a tendency to fight back.

The ISC uses a special type of direct-fire torpedo that is not affected by the 'spread-out' tactic or Lyran ESGs. It does have an area effect, so it still will do extra damage vs. 'bunch together'.

Penalties: The ISC may not ally with the Andromedans. It starts with a non-aggression pact with the LDR.

In addition, the ISC is the only race that is allowed to claim "allied victory" with another race IF it is the most powerful player.

6. Andromedans: They came from another galaxy to conquer and enslave.
    Andromedan players receive free "auto-repair". In addition, they are allowed to flee FTTD w/o penalty on defense, and can flee FTTD on offense with the standard penalties. If they flee on defense they may keep 1 SF if they have one, unless they only have that 1 base to start.

Penalties: Andromedans may not ally with the ISC or LDR.

Their frigates are not suited for long-distance travel alone. They must travel with a cruiser or larger. Therefore any assault fleet must have at least 1 cruiser or larger.
    If they are forced to withdraw when attacking, and only have frigates left, those frigates are lost.

--------------------------

Okay! That's about it. Feel free to start booing now. Or god forbid, say what you do and don't like. I don't envision using all of this stuff, let alone as is.
    Last edited by Theben; January 11, 2005, 22:09.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

And in case you're wondering what a non-aggression pact means in terms of gameplay, it equals diddly/squat. Although I might change it to mean you can't attack that player on turn 1.
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Boo.

Looks a lot more complicated.

Comment

Looks can be deceiving

I thought the original game looked complicated, turns out it's pretty simple.

Comment

With a large number of players it'd be a pain to GM.

Your examination of lasers is interesting though. Using the battle spreadsheet laser ships at close/spread can match or beat any tactic- providing the OoBs line up. When the attack and defend OoBs aren't LLT vs TTF but are LTL vs TTF, for example, the result is massive damage on both sides. Still, the lasers usually come out ahead, especially if they know what they're after.

There is a downside to too much lasering though... two equal laser fleets attacking each other that don't have matched OoBs will annihilate each other twice over.
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

How the heck you get the ISC involved with a Lyran civil war? You might as well throw in the Tholians as well.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

What are the current rules of Galatic Overlord like? I did some rule modifications some time ago but stopped due to lack of interest. I will put them up there if I haven't thrown that piece of paper out.
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Re: Alternate GO- discussion, signup

Originally posted by Theben
                3. Hydrans: Almost all hydran ships are carrier hybrids. To represent this, every 10 BPs spent by a Hydran player on anything nets them 1 free fighter frigate.
                Penalties: As the Kzinti, Hydrans may never ally with a Lyran clan, with the exception of the LDR. There should be only one hydran player.
                Hydrans are interesting due to their dual use of fusion beams and hellbores. Hellbores are the greatest weapons to knock down ESGs, because hellbore damage is counted against the distance to the ESG, not the ship itself. OTOH, fusion beams can be represented to be a special type of laser that's particularly powerful at close range, but does jack at long range.

Originally posted by Theben
                4. Lyran Democratic Republic: Once a 'southern' clan of the empire, the people overthrew their count and established a free republic.
                They have all the abilities of their Lyran counterparts.
                Penalties: The nobles of the Lyran clans fear the ideology of the LDR will spread thruout the empire, while other races fear a united Lyran empire is most likely if those same ideals spread. Because of this, the LDR may not ally with ANY Lyran player. They may ally with the Hydrans and Kzintis. They may not ally with the Andromedans either. They start with a non-aggression pact with the ISC, who approves of their non-aggressive ways.
                How do you handle their ships having a forest of gatling phasers?

BTW, what about the WYN star cluster?

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  How the heck you get the ISC involved with a Lyran civil war? You might as well throw in the Tholians as well.
                  It's supposed to be after the General War but before the Andromedan invasion, when their forces were spread across the galaxy.

As to your other questions, yeah, I know, but I didn't want to overdo it.

I might give the LDR +1 laser FF/10 BPs as well, but then 1) the Hydrans should get them too add 2) they'd need another penalty of some sort for balance.

Comment

I had some ideas for a "mobility mod" in combat to give an advantage from having smaller ships and techs that could be advanced...

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Don't agree with everything (for example laser fleets are not as powerful as stated) but I'll give it a shot for sure.

Comment

Care to elalorate? Nothing is set in stone.

Comment

And if you'd like to present your ideas, Jam, now's the time to do so.

Comment

I was thinking of making ships get much tougher as the sizes increased, while keeping weapon power the same i.e.

Frigate 1 weapon 2 HP
                            Cruiser 2 weapons 5 HP
                            Battleship 3 weapons 8 HP
                            Dreadnought 4 weapons 11 HP
                            Titan 5 weapons 14 HP

HP=(weapons x 3)-1

And then giving a bonus to the attack values of all weapons based on the ratio between the average speeds of the fleets i.e.

Frigate speed 5
                            Cruiser speed 4
                            B-Ship speed 3
                            Dread speed 2
                            Titan speed 1

So a fleet with avg. Speed 5 vs a fleet with avg. Speed 4 would have a 5:4 speed bonus in its favour, or a 20% increase in effectiveness. This will produce all kinds of crazy numbers.

-Jam
                            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I think that makes frigates too powerful when added to larger ships. A titan and five frigates is better than two titans.

Comment

Working...
                              X