No announcement yet.

Advice me on getting an racing game....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice me on getting an racing game....

........so I want to drive really fast without dying really fast.......

Okay, I'm not an complete stranger to racing games, however I don't own any. Due to an low budget, it has to be on PC, and perferably without requiring 3D acceration. (I don't know if my Intel 830M notebook chipset can do it, and I don't want to only play on my dad's comp)

I've played NSF: Under Ground at an lan cafe and petty much beat the thing. (there was someone else's saved record) The Ai does not seem all that impressive and require massive cheating to deal with bumping tactics. Dodging traffic is also quite annoying, and it makes cornering speed either really slow or really random. It is really keyboard friendly though, but at the expense of and serious depth, as cars don't really lose control or spin out (short of collisions) and all that one have to worry about is understeer. (which is small in RX-7....) Drifting seems largely useless, as weight shifting would cause wheels to lift at high speed, and in anycase the resulting cornering speed is less.......

I've played an bit of NSF: underground 2 but can't make judgement yet, but I do doubt its length and beating the ai by 2+ seconds consistantly in the few games I played make me wonder......

The racing game I'm currently spending time on is inital D aracade stage 3. Playing aracade games are expensive over the run, and I've spend around $400~500 on it since stage two. (thus the desire to get an PC game) I've gotten petty good at the game though, being able to pwn most people, though still 6 seconds slower than world class on tracks I'm familar with. (yes, 6 seconds out of 3 minutes is an long time....)

I'm not sure about realistic racing games, because they all seem keyboard-impossible. Getting an rally licence for GT2 for PS2 by standing at an computer shop for hours is probably the closest I've came to anything semi-realistic. I'm up for the challenge if it really isn't impossible with an keyboard......

I really enjoyed the colin mcrae 2005 demos (MP and SP, with 1 extra course in the MP demo). I would have bought the full game, only it comes on DVD and all Ive got is my crusty old CD drive. It was clunky (verging on being unplayable) on my mates P3 + 128mb graphics card so I dont really know if this is what you are looking for.
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

i only play formula 1 games (grand prix series, currently in its 4th incarnation), but i don't think that this is the kind of game you're looking for...
      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I'd advise Colin McRae too. There aren't a great deal of racing games on the PC, but this series is consistently good.

That's some advice.

Comment

I can't believe you're wasting your money on something like NFS: UG... the last racing game I've seriously played was Colin McRae Rally 2. It was pretty addicting, great in hotseat. Rally Trophy was also nice, it had nothing to do with WRC so you could basically select from many different cars (like Mini), but I think it's pretty old by now (can you get it from major stores anymore?).

Comment

I have Rally Trophy right here by my side but I haven't installed it yet because I have other games to play... Is Rally Trophy really good? If it is, I might find some space for it in my crowded HD.
            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

The things which caught my attention were the really good graphics (back then, I'm not sure if they're all that special in 2005 anymore), good physics model and a weak AI.

It's not a bad game overall, check it out when you have time for it.

Comment

Well, I'm ignorant, so thats why I'm asking.....

I think I've seen Colin McRae at an local store before..... *now all I need to do is check specs*

Comment

Sega Rally is a great old game that pretty much every good rally game copied after it. Ive got it for Saturn and PC and its identical (Arcade is much smoother graphically though), but it may be too old for you. Sega Rally 2 has better graphics (on Dreamcast) more courses and cars etc same great gameplay, I'm not sure how well it ported to PC though. Both games are about beating your own times though, rather than the AI.

Ive got the Jap import of Initial D on Saturn but I dont think its a particularly good port, graphically at least anyway. The controls seem like Daytona like powersliding, but ive never liked the jerking about when you oversteer or the grinding to a halt when you skim a barrier.
                  Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                  CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                  One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Sega Rally...don't know about the PC port, but played an old arcade machines before....decaying plasma screen kinds stopped me....

Consol Initial D games are not that good, and all initial D based games that I know have silly physics. Play battlegear if one really wants to try out the mountain roads shown in initial D.....

Comment

Working...
                    X