Turn structure:
    Upkeep phase - gang members are paid
    Recruitment phase - players can recruit during this phase
    Placement phase - new recruits enter the game
    Movement phase - all moves are simultaneous
    Combat resolution phase - dead gang members are removed
    End of turn phase - promotions are made

Upkeep - During each Upkeep phase the following occurs:

1. Cosolation payment: 5 MC (mob currency) for each Lieutenant and 2 MC for each Hitman in your gang that was killed last turn. If you don't have enough to pay, your gang disbands, all members leave, and all your areas become empty.

2. Hitman salary: 1 MC for each Hitman. Any Hitman unpaid leaves the game. You may voluntarily withhold payment for one or more Hitmen.

Recruitment: You may recruit one ore more Hitmen at 5MC each. They can be placed later. New recruits start with 0 experience.

Placement: New recuits from last turn can be placed in any area under your control.

Movement: Your Hitmen and Lieutantents may move to any area. Your Don may only move to any area under your control - he cannot attack. All movement are made at the same time.

Combat resolution:

1. Two pieces of the same rank bounce off each other.
    1a. If both enter the same area, each return to the closest friendly area.
    1b. If one moves into an area occupied by the other, the moved piece goes to the closest friendly area

2. Two Hitman kills off a lone one.
    2a. If the lesser side has more than one Hitman, the rest leave for the closest friendly area, after inclicting one death on the other side.

3. A Lieutantent may kill an Hitman without help. That is, a Lieutanent is the same as two Hitmen.
    3a. 3 Hitmen kill a lone Lieutanent.

4. You may only kill an enemy Don with 5 Hitmen or the equivalence thereof, i.e. a Lieutanent with 3 Hitmen or two Lieutanents with a Hitmen.

5. If there are more than two sides involved in a firefight, things get more complicated. All attacks are simultaneous and deaths are removed at the end of the phase. Take this simple case for an example: Side A has 4 Hitmen, Side B has 3, and Side C has 2. There are 6 attacks: A on B, A on C, B on A, B on C, C on A, and C on B. For each attack the receiving side loses a Hitman. Therefore, at the end, C is wiped out, B retreats, and A stays.

6. Each piece that wins a firefight gains 1 XP. Each piece that survives a firefight gains 2 XP.

End of turn:

Determination of area ownership: All empty areas belong to the gang that is the last to have a piece in it. If said gang was disbanded, the empty area becomes neutral.

Collection of income: Each area owned by a gang generates an income of 1 MC per turn.

Promotion: A Hitman is promoted to a Lieutanent when he gains 10 XP. A Lieutanent may be promoted to the Don after acquiring 20 XP if the gang does not have one. Promotion resets the XP counter.

Death of a Don:

If a gang loses a Don but does not have any replacement ready, it loses all income for the next turn.

Initial setup:

Each player starts with a Don, 2 Lieutanents, 4 Hitmen (his pieces), 4 areas under his control, and 20 MC. He should name all his pieces, all of which start with 0 XP.

Diplomacy rules:

1. Multiple players may ally secretly or openly. To do so in secret, each and every player must state that he or she is allying with the others in the submitted order during the same turn.
    1b. If one of the players fails to do so, that person is not considered to be in that alliance.
    1c. Only members of an open alliance is considered friendly towards each other, i.e., can stay in the territory of the other players in the same alliance without starting a fight or changing ownership.

2. Two players may ally against a third player in one single combat. This must be stated in the submitted order, e.g. "Move 3 Hitmen into St. Thomas to ally with Skanky against DrSpike."

3. Alliances maybe dissolved at any time by mutual agreement. Alternatively, one of the players can elect to withdraw from that alliance. There is one turn of "grace period" during which pieces can be rearranged.

4. A player might choose to backstab his allies during a turn by ordering one or more of his pieces to attack. This is the only situation when an attack order is needed.
    4a. An attack order is something like "Attack Jamski in Manchester." Such a combat is carried out normally.
    4b. Such a player might alternatively choose to ally with a different player against his former allies.
    4c. Duing this turn this player may still have pieces occupying the same areas as his former allies. Since they do not know this treachery at that point, their pieces will not fight the betraying players pieces.

Victory: maybe solo or alliance. In the case of an allied victory, the final winner is the one with the most controlled areas for the purpose of determining the GM for the next game.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Interesting.

Comment

Hmm, squad-level combat. From the look of it there's no way to deal a knockout blow, so I wonder if the games might run very long.
      Visit First Cultural Industries
      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I would like to see a sample starting map (I am assuming there is a map, but if you can attack anyone and be attacked by anyone, the map would be irrelevent, only the number of areas under your control would matter).

Assuming there is a starting map, with 4-8 players and each player starting with "4 areas under his control" does that mean that the starting map has 16-32 squares or are there neutral squares at the start of the game? (16+ - 32+)

Also do you only attack adjacent players or can you have any area under your control?

Can a player gain control of a neutral square and if so how or is it lost once it becomes neutral?
        "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Too long, didn't read.

I might join though.

Comment

Damn, I had an idea like this one, but yours is well thought out.

I'll play it.
            We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

I'll play too, sounds fun.

Comment

Smiley: more like modified Diplomacy combat. Yup, currently there's no way to wipe out an opponent quickly.

Sparrowhawk: As of now there's no starting map (probably laziness on my part ), so any family can take any area, they don't have to be connected. Currently there's no starting neutral area, the whole "city" is divided up by various families at the beginning. This is to simplify things to see how the rules go, and to avoid more complexity for the GM. To control a neutral family a player just have to move a piece into it. If it is uncontested - nobody else move his own pieces into the same area - it becomes under his control.

BTW each player should name areas under his control at the beginning. It can be as simple or fancy as you want. The names will not be changed during the game.
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

I've read it now and I like it.

One question: what's lieutenant salary?

Comment

Smiley: more like modified Diplomacy combat. Yup, currently there's no way to wipe out an opponent quickly.
                    Indeed, that's exactly what I thought of.

I won't be playing, but I'll spectate.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                      One question: what's lieutenant salary?
                      0, they don't need payment, they got cuts

Comment

So what's the situation with this game?

Comment

Working...
                        X