a striking game moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a striking game moment

Last thanksgiving, on Shabbat (saturday) watching POTM play Risk with her ultraorthodox Jewish cousins.

Now these are girls who dont watch TV, who wear ankle length dress with wrist length sleeves even in summer, and who will all get married when theyre 20 and start having LOTS of babies. Conservative doesnt begin to describe it. And THEY were the ones who had the game and taught POTM (the future doctor-writer-scientist-whatever) to play. (board games are popular, since you can play them on shabbat, when many other activities are off limits) Of course I DID make an effort, while kibbitzing, to get them to stop saying "Im attacking from here to here" and instead say "im attacking from eastern australia to new guinea" - they might as well learn some GEOGRAPHY (which i rather doubt their ultraorthodox girls schools are strong on)
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

a lot, but not all, conservative SDA families also play games like Risk on the Sabbath

my uncle and his familiy on the other hand, do not (he will only allow his kids to play religious focused games)

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Make them play AD&D next
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Nah, A&A

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
          a lot, but not all, conservative SDA families also play games like Risk on the Sabbath
          a striking, if not surprising, cultural parallel. A frummie (Ultraorthodox) vs SDA tournament?

my uncle and his familiy on the other hand, do not (he will only allow his kids to play religious focused games)

Wow,now THATS frum They must be Satmar

[/QUOTE]
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Such as?

Is it something like "The Cardinal did it in the Monastary with the Chalice"?

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
              Make them play AD&D next
              Funny thing is, back home in modern land, POTM and her best friends from the synagogue religious school like to play a fantasy role playing game they made up, that seems loosely based on D&D (but without rolling any dice - its not just kids playing though - they have magic items, powers, domains, etc, and now at least 2 web BBs)

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Such as?

Is it something like "The Cardinal did it in the Monastary with the Chalice"?
                we own "Tradition" a trivial pursuit knock off on Jewish themes. when the POTM was young there was Jewish holiday bingo. Im still contemplating my Maccabees scenario for Civ2

and then theres the game i really want - Judasim - where you play as the board of directors of a the conservative or reform movement, and determine how many resources to put in synagogues, schools, outreach programs etc, and you monitor conversions, intermarriage rates, etc

Comment

Comment

stuff like trivial pursuit, but with Bible questions

there were a lot of others also (like hangman but with a bible verse, and bible pictionary, etc... for a few years my parents were of themore conservative set)

sa far as it goes, I had made up many RPG type games with legos and other tools pre my discovery of DnD (and after I discovered DnD, I thought that Pen and Paper RPGs were stupid for a logn length of time)

now they did get a lot more RPG like, and less adventure like, after I discovered Moria

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                      Funny thing is, back home in modern land, POTM and her best friends from the synagogue religious school like to play a fantasy role playing game they made up, that seems loosely based on D&D (but without rolling any dice - its not just kids playing though - they have magic items, powers, domains, etc, and now at least 2 web BBs)
                      Cool
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Who or what is POTM?
                        Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Princess Of The Mark.
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Who is also daughter of Lord of the Mark (if I understand correctly).
                            "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Is this thread about Risk, or is it about geography? Or is it about the jewish religion?

Comment

Working...
                              X