FG: NASCAR VIII: NFS Underground II Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FG: NASCAR VIII: NFS Underground II Edition

Rules - pretty much the same from last time, with some interesting new additions. I'm currently about 1/2 way through Need For Speed Underground II and have added some elements from that game to spice this up a bit.

The game is turn-based. Each driver issues orders for each turn. Possible orders are combinations of the following:

1. Change speed:
    a. Accelerate - add one to speed (Accelerate at the beginning of your turn will add one speed [move point] to your total for that and following turns. Accelerate at the end of you turn will add one speed to yout total after the current move [for accelerating out of a corner].
    b. Decelerate - subtract one from speed (Again at the beginning of you orders, slow you down by one for that turn. At the end of your orders, slows you down to start next turn, useful for slowing down for a corner).
    c. Slipstream - If you start a turn directly behind another player (must both be moving in the same direction.) You can call a "S" command at the beginning of your turn, and it will act as a free "A". (this can not be used if your placement was due to a crash)
    d. Don't change speed
    * You may accelerate and brake in the same turn without using a WC.

2. Steer:
    a. Left (45 degree direction change)
    b. Right (45 degree direction change)
    c. Left-Right, Right-Left (lane changes)
    d. Don't change direction

WildCards: (Start with 4)
    *Each player also can use wildcards during their turn, doubling their change in speed or doubling their turn rate. Multiple wildcards can be used in a single round. Please designate WC usage with +1 in parens: MMRMM(R+1) or AMMRMMM(A+1)
    *Clarification: RRLL, RLRL, or any combinations of 2 rights and 2 lefts is only 1 WC, not 2.
    *Only two wildcards for a direction or speed on any turn.
    accel 2 and right 2 are allowed in the same turn, but accel 3 or right 3 are not allowed.

* Steering can now be controlled much finer.
    Turning (moving to the left or right) will always move you forward 1 square, but you can now influence when this move takes place.

A complete order may look like this: (current speed of 4, North)
    "A(2M)RM(R+1)"
    This will up the speed to 5, move the car North twice, once to the right (Northeast), once more to the Northeast, and then due East once, and uses up one wildcard. Example:

Code:
    Y...
    A new addition to this game is walls (/, \, and -). Crashing into a wall will reduce your speed by 2. There is no way to drive off the track. you can intentionally drive into walls to slow down (like in NFS U2). This makes it easier for noobs since there is no way to drive off the track.
    *I considered doing some damage modeling, but dropped that idea since NFSU2 does not do that.

Specials:
    Oil Slicks (s): There back, since you can't go off the track. These will change your direction (L or R) randomly, and are not visible until hit by a player. There are five on this track.

Sand bags (o): Hitting a hidden sandbag will be a speed -1 penalty. There are quite a few sandbags in sandbag alley, and a few others scattered around the track. These are not visible until you hit them.

Grass (o): Driving on the grass gives you a -1 speed penalty. Grass is like a visible sandbag.

Jumps: Jumps are designated by V, <, ^, and >. Each jump has a take-off and a landing ramp. If you do not make it over the jump in one turn (land on the landing ramp at least), then you are considered crashed, speed will be reduced to 0, and you'll be placed on the landing ramp for the next turn.

Crashes: A random pick will determine who gets the lead spot. the other player will be placed behind. Both players will suffer a 50% speed reduction.

Cars:
    You now can pick one upgrade for your car before the race starts. Send your choice in a pm. It will be secret for a while, but the other racers will be able to figure it out soon enough. The options are:

1. Turbo: You can issue a second accelerate command during your turn without using a WC.
    2. Swaybars: You can issue a second steer command during your turn without using a WC.
    3. Tires: You can issue a second brake command during your turn without using a WC. In addition, you can issue a second acclerate command in a turn that you issued a second brake command without using a WC. EX: B(B+1)MRMA(A+1) or B(B+1)MRM does not cost you any WC, but BMMRMMA(A+1) will.
    4. Performance Package: You get 6 extra WC to start with.

*You still cannot do more than 2 speed changes or 2 directional changes in one turn even with the car options, hence A(A+1)(A+1)MMMMMMMMM is not allowed.

Here be the track:
    Code:
          |*1234567*|        /----\                  /------\
          |*********|       /******\                /********\
          |*********|      /********\              /**********\
          |*********|     /***ooo****\            /***oooooo***\
          |*********|    /***ooooo****|          /***oo/---\o***\
          |*********|  -/****/---\****|         |***oo/     \o***\
           \********o\/o****/    /***/          |o****|      |***|
            \*******ooo****/    /***/     /---\  \o***|      |^^^|
             \************/    /***/     /*****\  \o***\     |...|
              \**********/    /***/      |******\  \o***|    |...|
         /-------------------/***/       |***o***\ |o***/    |...|
        /***********************/        |***|***| /o**/     |^^^|
       |***********************/         |***|***|/***/      /***|
       |***oo*****************/          |***|***|***|      /o***|---\
       |**oo-----------------------------------------------/oo***/****\
       |***oo*****************>.....>***********>.....>*********/***o**\
        \*********************>......>***********>.....>*******/***/***/
         \----------------------------------------------------/***/***/
           Sand Bag Alley  /---\   /---\ |***|***|***|       /***/***/
                          /*****\ /*****\|***|***|***o\-----/o**/***/
                         |*******|*******|***|\***\***ooooooo**/***/
                         |***o***|***o***|***| \***\**********/***/
          --------------/****|***|***|***|***|  \***\********/***/
          F******************|***o***|***o***|   \***\------/***/
          F*****************/|******/|******/     \************/
          F****************/  \****/  \****/       \**********/
          ----------------/    \--/    \--/         \--------/
    We have time to get a few more racers in case anyone is interested.

Code:
    NASCAR 8

Car Number Player Name Speed Wild cards Direction Orders
    1 Filler 4 4 S -
    2 Rah 4 4 S -
    3 Kassiopeia 4 4 S -
    4 Jonny 4 4 S -
    5 Sparrowhawk 4 4 S -
    6 gjramsey 4 4 S -
    7 waiting 4 4 S -
    Last edited by Spaced Cowboy; December 19, 2004, 01:23.
    We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Looks well thought out, will ask ming if he has any interest tonight. Will consider performance package tomorrow.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

At what speed do we start? 0?
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Kass, sorry added the chart.

Can't believe that LJ is not interested as well as he did in the last part of the last race.
        We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Sent.
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

So I have orders from Kassi...hint, hint!

Comment

I guess the others are just going to stay in the starting grid. I have no qualms with that

Comment

Race on!!!

Comment

sent
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Orders sent, and so is my "upgrade"......I am assuming everyone else is also sending this in with their round 1 orders?

/me
                    "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

My only question, is when hitting a wall, (to break) will the direction continue to be the one that you were going when you hit the wall? I assume yes.
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

You want to break the wall, or do you want to brake (slow down)? I'm going to use angle of incidence, except in the case of a head on. You can't keep on the same direction or you'll keep on hitting it.

Yes, I need to know your upgrade before I can drop the green.

Comment

my upgrade was included in my orders.

WHy can't they keep the direction they hit it?
                          Why should they get an advantage of an extra free turn. Force them to use a turn to get right, otherwise this could turn into a pinball game. Just keep accelerating and bouncing off the walls.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think I have played some arcade games, where that plan worked.

Comment

Sent, along with upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                              X