No announcement yet.

Playing using a powerpoint projector...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing using a powerpoint projector...

Has anyone tried playing games on their laptops while using a power point projector, displaying the game on a wall for example? Is the image good?

Carolus

Yes and yes. It helps if you have a screen to project it on, though.
    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

I once had the opportunity to play Rome: Total War on a 14 foot screen, but I couldn't be bothered to haul my computer across the street (where the screen and projecter where).
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Not sure if this helps the discussion or not, but we tried out our work powerpoint projector with a dvd movie and the image was very good, not sure that I would want to use the projector for a video game however, as I understand the bulbs for them are quite costly
        "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

I've played first-person shooters on such a setup, and it is very satisfying.
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
            Not sure if this helps the discussion or not, but we tried out our work powerpoint projector with a dvd movie and the image was very good, not sure that I would want to use the projector for a video game however, as I understand the bulbs for them are quite costly
            The place I mentioned across the street from me that had the projector and screen is an art gallery, and at that time they had three projectors on all day every day for a month, and didn't need to replace any bulbs.
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Never thought of that. I'll have to 'borrow' one from work.

Comment

Microsoft came to our school when the Xbox was coming out. They had Halo up on a huge projector in the school's largest lecture hall. I'd say the image was about 25-30 ft tall. It was pretty sweet.
                "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Way back in the day, my dad brought home a nice projector (for the time) from ASU. Starfox had just come out for the SNES and we hooked it up to play on the wall. THAT was sweet.
                  "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                    Never thought of that. I'll have to 'borrow' one from work.
                    Exactly my thought!

When I saw him going through some slides on the wall, fine-tuning the projector for a guest presenter, I first thought about buying one (well, after thinking "Hey! Maybe one could play games with that thing!").

Apparently, they cost about 5000 - 10 000 SEK (9 SEK = 1 Euro)... So, indeed, the department will have to oblige...

Carolus

Comment

You can get the old, big, huge clunky ones for much less. They do weigh in at a couple dozen kilograms though. Also if you game too much the cops might show up and search your house for grow lamps.
                      Visit First Cultural Industries
                      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

We've got one at home. It's pretty sweet man...

My recommendations:

-Home alone, lights out, some weed and other sweets nearby, and then boot any Thief game. The athmosphere is absolutely fan-tas-tic. You could try Doom3 or any other scary game too for that matter

A surround sound set is not obligatory but it truly does make a difference...

-Soldier of Fortune 1: You can see those heads and intestines explode in real size

-If you have a formula 1 game, that's pretty impressive too

In general first person games do gain that bit extra when viewed with a beamer. In RTS/TBS games it would be a bit difficult to control your battlefield on such a large screen, and adventures don't really need a big screen either
                        Maybe RPGs could be nice, but I've not tried that yet. Perhaps Morrowind or any non isometric RPG could be nice.
                        Except for formula 1 games, sports games haven't really impressed me that much

I swear, if you can lay your hands on one of those babies be sure to try out a tense FPS/sneak'em up... Impossible to describe with mere words what a wonderful experience that is..
                        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

One word: LEMMINGS.
                          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

eh?
                            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Illegal drugs.

Comment

Working...
                              X