EA Signs exclusive 5-year deal with NFL, NFLPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EA Signs exclusive 5-year deal with NFL, NFLPA

At Yahoo Finance, you get free stock quotes, up-to-date news, portfolio management resources, international market data, social interaction and mortgage rates that help you manage your financial life.

EA Sports now has exclusive rights to create NFL-based games for consoles, PCs, and handhelds for the next five years.

Goddammit, this really, really sucks. Now that EA will have no competition, they'll have no incentive to improve Madden and they can release the same damn game every year for the next five years because they know that people are stupid and will buy the damn thing in droves no matter what.

Dammit, I really liked ESPN NFL 2k5 this year, too, and I was looking forward to next year.

EA

What kind of game are the NFL rules for? Is it an RPG?

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

EA have been doing it with the FIFA series for years. Theyre spending lots of money on licenses, soundtracks and celebrity mo-cap, and the remaining budget on a shallow game. This is fine if you want to play a quick an easy arcade football game, but if thats what it is then it shouldnt have all the real-life licenses.
      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Jam
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
          What kind of game are the NFL rules for? Is it an RPG?

-Jam
          NFL = professional football

Sega's NFL games were finally starting to be seriously competitive, both in price and game quality. I can just see this conversation happening in EA HQ:

"What's this? Another company is making games as good as ours and they release them at half the price?! What can we do?"
          "Well, we can release our games at half the price or make them better and worth the extra money."
          "Nonsense. We'll make sure NO ONE else can make the same game."

Comment

NFL 2k5 has some serious player development issues in franchise mode.

Comment

Sports games suck anyway.

Comment

I don't play sports games, but I definitely agree that this is crap. No competition = teh suck!
                "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Yeah, this royally sucks. NFL 2k5 was the better game.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Sega makes better sports games, period -- at least with World Series Baseball, NHL 2K5, and NFL 2K5.

The NFL is a pathetic organization, and you should be ashamed for being football fans.

I remembered the people they went after for showing the superbowl without a license.

Greedy pig****ers.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Trademarks Copyrights Patents
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Lunatic future computer-industry employee who wants to work for free
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Actually If patents and copyright were eliminated. There would be more jobs in software writing as every company would have to do practically everything in house. Of course tecnology would grind to a pace not seen since the dark ages.

This is crap. I was thinking that next year would be a golden year for football games. There was finally competition. Now it's gone, this is crap.
                          Last edited by Moral Hazard; December 14, 2004, 07:23.
                          Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

You figure these big names would learn from past mistakes and not tie their boat to just one game company. I recall how Need for Speed sign an exclusive deal with Porche to be the only company to make video games featuring Porche cars. Yep, no sooner was the deal signed and Porche got their money the PS2 came out with Grand Tourismo and Need for Speed fell off of the sales charts. NfS2 didn't do much better but Porche couldn't get out of the deal.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It would be far smarter from big leagues to simply let anyone who wants to pay a royalty to make a football game. That way which ever game is popular with the kiddies always acts as free advertising for the big league.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X