No announcement yet.

I'm never buying another Valve game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I for one won't buy games which include intrusive copy protections like steam. Then again I don't buy FPS games so I'm not really the target audience.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Steam is the biggest peace of garbage. It wastes valuable cpu cycles and memory space. Do they really think people will buy games without getting a hardcopy of the game? This whole idea of downloading a game is dumb, I always want a hardcopy of the game for my protection.

Something I forgot to add, I think the major motivator for steam was the ability to do direct downloads, thus bypassing the publisher allowing for more profit for the game dev. I am all for bypassing the publisher, but I must have a hardcopy of any game I buy (which you only get for the $90 package that steam offers IIRC).

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Jeff
        Steam is the biggest peace of garbage. It wastes valuable cpu cycles and memory space. Do they really think people will buy games without getting a hardcopy of the game? This whole idea of downloading a game is dumb, I always want a hardcopy of the game for my protection.

Something I forgot to add, I think the major motivator for steam was the ability to do direct downloads, thus bypassing the publisher allowing for more profit for the game dev. I am all for bypassing the publisher, but I must have a hardcopy of any game I buy (which you only get for the $90 package that steam offers IIRC).
        I can understand wanting to have a hard copy, but buying the game online through steam is actually better than having that copy in terms of accidentally losing or breaking something. You break or lose a disc, you're screwed. Not so if you buy it online.
        "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

I like buying stuff online. If you get a key sent to you, just keep that email and no matter what you will have a copy of the game available regardless of what happens to your computer.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by BustaMike

I can understand wanting to have a hard copy, but buying the game online through steam is actually better than having that copy in terms of accidentally losing or breaking something. You break or lose a disc, you're screwed. Not so if you buy it online.
            Dont companies send out a replacement if you provide proof of purchase? Its like the cost of postage to get it done. Ive never tried because I dont smash CD's to pieces with a jackhammer, seriously how do people break a CD so easily?
            Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
            CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
            One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

You break or lose a disc, you're screwed.
              Not if you've used your fair use rights and made a copy.

Oh right, they've broken the CDs already beforehand (copy protected) so that you can't. Shoot.
              Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I prefer hard copies too. First, I can make a backup copy, and legally so, too. Second, I don't lose or break my CDs, I don't understand why people do that, either. I still have CDs from 1995 and 1996 here, and they still work.

Also, if I reformat my comp, it's faster to install from a hard copy than to download the 4GB again. The one thing I like is bypassing the publishers - I don't like publishers ripping off game developers and taking lots of money for doing nothing of value, but that alone isn't enough or me to not get a hard copy.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I prefer hard copies, but enjoyed the experience of buying Half-Life 2 online. It is much more convenient than going to a store and whatnot. Plus, I preloaded most of HL2, and only needed to activate it when it was released (my install took all of 2 minutes).

I'm not a fan of steam per se, but I think it's a reasonably good system and I would buy another product from Valve via Steam anytime.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                    I like buying stuff online. If you get a key sent to you, just keep that email and no matter what you will have a copy of the game available regardless of what happens to your computer.
                    You think they are going to keep the game available for more than a couple of years?
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Thats the thing, for me at least, I like replaying older games many years after I originaly played and beat them. Great examples of this are the Fallout 1, 2, and the Baldur's Gate Series. Not to mention that I still play Starcraft on bnet as well. If I did not have a disc of Fallout 1 or 2, there is no way I would have been able to play them as recently as I did.

I do not pirate games, but from a simple economics view how can copy protection really protect a game company from financial loss? All cd copy protection can be broken (eventually). Personally I think the costs of licensing cd copy protection is not worth it. I think the only successful copy protections are the thing that steam is doing (online verifacation) and CD-keys for multiplayer. There are ways to get around cd-keys (I.E. fake bnets for starcraft), but cd-keys do get households to buy multiple copies of a game.

Look, I am majoring in computer science and I am against online verification. I think it is an invasion of privacy and our right to chose which computer the piece of software can go on. I upgrade my computer and eventually I will upgrade my MoBo and Processor, what then? I personally do not need two computers that can run any given game at once for my own personal benefit, but these online verifacations make that a hassal.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

You think they are going to keep the game available for more than a couple of years?
                        Well whenever I download stuff I keep it on one of my drives. Therefore if I reformat it's still there.

Legal downloading is often a viable alternative these days. One example that springs to mind is when I started playing City of Heroes. Instead of importing a copy (it wasn't out in the UK) I bought a key online and downloaded it. Much better for me in that case.

Comment

Thats the thing, for me at least, I like replaying older games many years after I originaly played and beat them. Great examples of this are the Fallout 1, 2, and the Baldur's Gate Series. Not to mention that I still play Starcraft on bnet as well. If I did not have a disc of Fallout 1 or 2, there is no way I would have been able to play them as recently as I did.

Same with me... I still play some 1999 games, and even older. If Steam goes kaput in 2008, I want to still be able to play HL2...

I do not pirate games, but from a simple economics view how can copy protection really protect a game company from financial loss? All cd copy protection can be broken (eventually). Personally I think the costs of licensing cd copy protection is not worth it. I think the only successful copy protections are the thing that steam is doing (online verifacation) and CD-keys for multiplayer. There are ways to get around cd-keys (I.E. fake bnets for starcraft), but cd-keys do get households to buy multiple copies of a game.

So true... HL2 warez version was out the day of the release, and now it'salso multiplayer compatible and everything, no problems at all.
                          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                            If not them, then someone else. See underdogs.
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                            X