recommend an xbox game for my son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommend an xbox game for my son

Something older, so I can pick it up used.
    something not a shooter, not m-rated, not a fighting game, not sports.

something that's pretty good, since I have no idea what's good or not on xbox.

a couple I'm looking at are Azurik, and Morrowind. Morrowind because it got such good PC reviews, and Azurik because it looked good on the box.

but I'm not sure if they really are good.
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

you pretty much eleminated all the good games.

What do you mean by not a fighting game? Do you mean you don't want any violence whatsoever?

That eleminated Morrowind. Knights of the Old Republic is also another good game for the X-box.

Comment

Azurik sucks. Btw, instead of buying your games used, you could buy a platinum edition game. They are older, bargain bin games that are sold at a reduced price, about the same price as used games. Prince of Persia is a very good platformer. Beyond good and evil is also good.
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

How old is your son anyway? Morrowind is a complicated game. For example, I wouldn't buy it for a 11 year old. Also:

- Crimson Skies is also good and cheap.

- James Bond 007: Everything Or Nothing (probably the best Bond game, and its cheap!)

- Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic (platinum edition)

- Splinter Cell (platinum edition)

- The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic would probably be best. The PC version is pretty much the same so you wouldn't miss out on anything. Unlike with Morrowind.
          "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
          "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
          "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
          "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
            Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic would probably be best. The PC version is pretty much the same so you wouldn't miss out on anything. Unlike with Morrowind.
            I made my recommendations based on the PC versions. I admit I don't own a X-box .

how much different is the PC version of Morrowind compared to the X-box version?

That's why I recommended Knights of the Old Republic. Unless the kid is heavily into RPG's and likes manipulating numbers to create more powerful builds, Morrowind is more of an older kids game or adult game. KOTOR is very easy to learn and play.

As for the violence, it's not too bad. In KOTOR you will be slaying humanoid type beings along with creatures. But there is no blood (unlike Morrowind which does have a little bit of blood I believe). No bad language in either game. Sex is pretty much non-existant in both games, but there is romance in KOTOR (though I can't seem to get it ). And most kids like star wars, so they should like this game. though kids who like action over story might be put off by the game at first.

Comment

Re: recommend an xbox game for my son

Originally posted by Father Beast
              something not a shooter, not m-rated, not a fighting game, not sports.
              No fighting games? Then why buy a console? Fighting games are the only genre consoles are good at
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Grabbed by the Ghoulies

Comment

OK, sorry about not giving that piece of info. My son just turned 14.

I didn't buy the Xbox, I don't have one, but my son has access to a few at this place he goes to.

What I meant by no fighting games was stuff like Tekken, or Marvel vs. Capcom, in which the point is to fight it out.

My son doesn't like sports, I don't like the idea of giving him shooters or fighting games.

OK, so Azurik sucks, and morrowind may be too hardcore rpg for him, but all seem to agree that KOTOR is a good choice.

Do I understand this rightly?
                  Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                  ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

My first thought when I saw this thread was KOTOR. Its an older game (so ~ 20 bucks), a good game, and there is a sequel out if he gets into it.

Prince of Persia might be in your definition of a "fighting game." I've never played it, but from what I've seen you seem to be fighting ghosts/zombies in the like instead of actual human beings.

Sid Meier's Pirates is coming to Xbox eventually, that would probably work as well.
                    "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

I made my recommendations based on the PC versions. I admit I don't own a X-box .

how much different is the PC version of Morrowind compared to the X-box version?
                      Not too much...just that if something bad happens you can't use the console to fix it and you can't add any mods.
                      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Prince of Persia might be in your definition of a "fighting game." I've never played it, but from what I've seen you seem to be fighting ghosts/zombies in the like instead of actual human beings.
                        Its not a fighter, like Ninja Gaiden: its a platformer with fighting in it.

Comment

OK, so Azurik sucks, and morrowind may be too hardcore rpg for him, but all seem to agree that KOTOR is a good choice.

Do I understand this rightly?
                          Yep. If you want something even less hardcore, there's always "The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King", a very good action rpg with very nice graphics.

Comment

Splinter Cell is rated Teen, and is more about thinking and patience than fighting, but certainly has violence.

Oddworld Munch's Oddysee is pretty cool and funny.

The other games mentioned so far are also good.
                            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch
                              Splinter Cell is rated Teen, and is more about thinking and patience than fighting, but certainly has violence.

Oddworld Munch's Oddysee is pretty cool and funny.

The other games mentioned so far are also good.
                              Splinter Cell takes patience, If I was 14, I don't know if I'd have that kind of patience.
                              "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X