No announcement yet.

Society VI: Clouded Visions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree with the suggestion that only 1 tech may be gifted per turn. The 'alliance system' is too strong as it stands... it really helped me last game, and in this game I got left behind for a couple of turns (as far as alliances go) and that hurt me.

Comment

• hmm how about strengthening the other governments by removing the cap on taxable cities?
      I don't know about that- then there really wouldn't be much of an impetus to upgrade governments.
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• While I am not sure I agree with Whoha's idea, there would still be a benefit to upgrading your government, both with the trade bonus (x1.5 for Monarchy, x 2 for Republic) and the taxation bonus (same multipliers). The advantage of the higher governments would just be lessened.
        "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• The Mafia wonder would also need to be replaced, because it'd have no effect.
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• well, if needed I suppose it could go back to giving 5 gp per every city in the world (an upgrade from 1 gp).
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• How about keeping the government benefits as it is, but restore the original high cost of revolution?
              Visit First Cultural Industries
              There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
              Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

• Meaning no production in the revolution turn.

While this would be simpler, I don't like this option either.

/me who doesn't have any better solutions

Edit: Anyone care to start a sign up thread?
                Last edited by Sparrowhawk; December 27, 2004, 22:52.
                "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• So what does everyone vote?

I see that sparrowhawk wants to start a new signup thread, but what decisions have we made:

1. Start game with 20 gold coins.
                  2. ???

Has everyone spoken on these issues so far?

Maybe we can create a voting thread in another day or two?
                  -->Visit CGN!

Comment

• bump.
                    -->Visit CGN!

Comment

• Let's first get a survey of what the biggest problems are right now:

In my opinion:
                      -Excessive allied tech gifting
                      -Complex math
                      -Cost of revolution too low
                      -Not enough different strategies on first turn
                      Visit First Cultural Industries
                      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

• My views on Smiley's four mentioned problems:

- Excessive Tech Gifting: as the biggest abuser of this flaw in the game, I think that the proposed 1 tech per turn gift max is acceptable. I hope that we do not eliminate foreign aid all together, as it should still be a key part of the game.

- Complex Math: part of the game, and it cannot be eliminated without fundamentally changing the game. If anyone has any suggestions to eliminate some unneccessary portions I would consider them, but I don't think we are going to make significant change here (I do like Darkcloud's suggestion of eliminating the need for trade partners to be within their tech level distance away).

- Cost of revolution too low: I disagree, or people would be revolting to Monarchy rather then waiting until Republic. I think the revolutions should be left as is (including leaving the tax at 1/2 tax + one turn of production on the revolution turn).

- Not enough different strategies on the first turn: Agreed, and I think we solve this by increasing the starting gold as suggested. Not sure of the amount to increase it however, 20 gold sounds reasonable to me though.

I would also like to repost my previous suggestions that wonders be switched: Colleseum to Tech 1, Tower to Tech 2, Silk Road to Tech 4, Acropolis to Tech 5.

Having said all this, I am open to any proposed change

/me

Comment

• Oh yes, the wonder tech moving is a good succestion for game balance and logic.

Here's what I think that most of us can agree upon:

Thus some solutions (and rule changes):
                          1.) Turn One Start with 20 Gold.
                          2.) Colliseum to Tech 1, Tower to Tech 2, Silk Road to Tech 4, Acropolis to Tech 5.
                          3.) Eliminate need for trade partners to be x distance away

--
                          Issues to be solved:
                          1.) Should we limit tech giving to one tech/turn?
                          2.) Is revoultion cost too low?

And by the way, who's GMing the next game? Sparrowhawk?

Oh and Sparrowhawk I finally had a chance to look at your program. In some ways it seemed a bit more manual than the program I used- but it seemed a lot more manageable. Kudos to you!
                          -->Visit CGN!

Comment

• my opinions on your "issues to be solved".....
                            1) Yes
                            2) No

As for GMing, I have volunteered to do so, but only if no one else wants to. I would rather play then GM, but I am willing to GM

As for my "program" I think that is too strong a word, it is merely a spreadsheet, but I have found it makes GMing easier. I think your program is far superior, and with the bugs worked out (and maybe a how to guide from 's like me) it would make GMing a breeze I think.

/me

Comment

• I'll agree to the gifting of only one tech per turn.

Okay, then I think that we should get started- I just modified the rules document to reflect those changes, Sparrowhawk.

As soon as I can, I'll get the program to correspond to the new rule changes and then I'll be able to put together a 'how to' guide!
                              -->Visit CGN!

Comment

• Just wondering, Sparrow, are you planning on starting a signupthread?

depending on my commitments, I might be able to GM a game in March/April. But not in February or May at all. After June, I should be pretty open as well.
                                -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Working...
                                X