Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ascendancy

364 votes, 9.5 rating.

Ascendancy, a game of well... space... and ... uhhh... planets.

Ascendancy, perhaps one of the best games I have ever play, from what I remember.

Ascendancy, the game I want but do not have.

In Ascendancy, you develop your home planet, research new technologies, build ships to traverse the stars, encounter aliens, and colonize new worlds as you expand your presence throughout the galaxy.

Ascendancy, a game made in '95 for dos on floppy or CD, which is insanely hard to find.

It was great, a friend and I used to play it alot years ago. You got to build ships of different hull sizes, put stuff in em, colonize places, zap alien scum... travel across the galaxy. Once I found a secret starlane that had one huge planet in it, HUGE, with all good tiles. There was this alien race which kept giving us technology, constantly, and another which faught us viciously. Our alien worshippers helped us alot, of course.

The bad thing, after a week or two his older brother gave it away. Now I ask you good people of Apolyton, anyone here ever play it?
    I changed my signature

I don't play it, but I've got a copy of it.

I take it that you want it? It's the French version though.
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I actually got it back in the time because of the good reviews, but I never really tried it because I was still hooked on Civ1 and SimCity 2000.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

The underdogs site has it up for download.

I was extremely interested as soon as I heard about it several years ago - at least until I found a review that meantioned the near non-existent AI.

Comment

This might help that AI.

Where would this underdogs download be... and is it English?
          I changed my signature

Comment

Very cool game with very cool concepts, but AI is brain dead, and the end game dragggggsssssss.
            We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Ascendancy
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

This was a game I played after Moo1 that I really enjoyed. It does have a brain dead AI, even with the Antag mod.

I just remember the first time I saw the graphics and then heard the sounds. My first space battle in that game was so cool. It still stands up for sound.

It was also my first spac game that let you refit your ships. The bad news is that it was micromanagement hell. Terraforming massive dead planets and planning paths for your ships to get where you needed them.

It used to owrk on my XP system, but now the screen gets hozed. I still fire up my Win98SE once in a while to play it.

Comment

I hate this game. I have never finished a game.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Enjoyed it. Can't find the CD anymore, though.
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                      I hate this game. I have never finished a game.

ACK!
                      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Re: Ascendancy

Originally posted by Gamecube64
                        edit.......

The bad thing, after a week or two his older brother gave it away. Now I ask you good people of Apolyton, anyone here ever play it?
                        I can repay the Harvest Moon advice you gave me

Yes i got it ages ago and really liked it in the begining, but after a while i found the Ai and some of the gameplay mechanisms a bit poor. But for its age its still a beautiful game, i last had a go a few months back after finding the latest patch which made it much more challanging. I'll PM you where you can get the patch etc

Its an oldie and a goodie, but almost impossible to find.
                        'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

I already know where the patch is, I linked to it up a few posts.
                          I changed my signature

Comment

ah....

but you got the pm anyway?.........it was the 'etc' bit i was meaning in your case

'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

I remember playing Ascendancy. The space battles were my favorite part. it was just so cool to see her ship zap another ship. I also loved the animation when your ship entered or exited a wormhole, how the bubble would oscillate and the ship would pop out. The tech tree was pretty good too. You got to customize your ships and you could put some cool stuff on them.
                              'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                              G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Working...
                              X