Swedish Girls of Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrSpike

I always wonder if people would be quite so amazed at someone playing 8+ hours per day of a more well-established game, with a hope of one day being amonst the best in the world. Food for thought.

We got RL friends who have a kid who does gymnastics intensively - i dont remember since we havent seen them in a while, but its like 5 or 6 times a week, multiple hours. Kid never has time to play with mine, shes always in gymnastics. Thousands of kids across the country like that, IIUC. of whom a dozen or so will go to the olympics. How many will go to nationals? Will the kid even get a college scholarship for gymnastics? (not like her family needs the money). And for this shes sacrificing playtime with kids, outdoors, not to mention schoolwork? Crazy, IMHO.

Now I suppose playing an FPS becoming the best in the world is more realistic. Of course the reward is rather less than an olympic Gold. Afterall, even if youre the best in a particular FPS, youre not the best in FPS in general. and you dont even get exercise while youre at it

While I can accept what Dr Spike is saying on an intellectual level - Spikey is so well spoken and reasonable at a gut level to devote that much time to any game other than chess seems very odd to me.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Not sure what to make of the

Anyway, you made my response already I think. Everyone has different ideas about how far they would go to achieve something they want, and which games are worthy of such dedication. To Lotm chess is; to others Quake3 may be.

To me very little is, but the competitive streak in me means I understand the choices made, and truly I think there is very little other than attitudes (which are changing) between dedication to a sport and dedication to a given FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamecube64
        The Wizard?

It sucked

But it had SMB3
        Yep that one. I never saw it although ha.
        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Working...
        X