Skateboarding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skateboarding

Ive been thinking about trying skateboarding for a while, and finally got my finger out and got a skateboard. I found this public huge vertical half-pipe in Bath. I would probably kill myself right now trying to go down it though, so I am just practicing in car parks and local skate parks.

Im surprised at just how much I suck at skating Im a tall, heavy guy so Its going to be that much harder for me to get the hang of it. Im sure some of you guys here with the skinny build type would have a much easier time of it early on, and hit the ground less hard as well.

I think I just need to practice a lot. I have been putting in the hours this weekend, staying up until the early hours so I have the streets to myself. I can fall on my arse as many times as I like and not have to worry about being embarrassed. I sucked so much at first, I couldnt even stay on the pavement, but now I can keep myself going as long as there arent too many bumpy manhole covers and such.

I cant do any tricks yet (unless its my favorite 'falling over like an idiot' trick). I went into this all a bit with my head in the clouds due too much Tony hawks pro skater game, but reality seems very different. Im just concentrating on basic board control, and control at speed. I imagine being a competent rider will come before being competent at tricks

My body has taken a beating with all my falls. Along with grazes and scrapes on knees and hips, i have aggravated my old fractured elbow and hurt the tendons in my left foot from having to grip the board with my feet. When I can finally get my board to jump all the falls will be worthwhile.

I found this great online directory covering all the skate parks in the UK. Its at www.sk8m8.com . It even covers the little local parks with just a ramp and rail. They need as much help as you can give keeping the directory updated, so I have a quest to cycle and visit them

Are there any other skaters here? Anyone willing to give it a try? I picked up some cheapo board just so I could get a feel for what I was doing. Its a cheap way to do something new, but I think you have to be prepared to practice at it if you want to get anywhere. I did feel like a right plonker skating badly at first but a couple of days of practice I can make sure I dont fall over if people are watching
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

I've never understood what makes grown men play with skateboards. :stir:

Comment

The skate ramps call to me every time I cycle past them. The possibility of so much excitement and speed. I tried it on my bike but ended up busting my arm.

Also I want to skate because I cant do it. If kids can do it I should be able to too. The only price I have to pay is repeatedly crashing into the floor. Having to pick myself up and shake myself off after a fall is character building I am sure.

Comment

Felt I learnt a lot today. Could doing a standing turn 180 on concrete, so it means I can point my board anywhere I want to go.

I skated fast several times around this tennis court turning clockwise in a long oval. Felt a lot more comfortable on the board. Still cant turn left nearly as naturally though.

Had some fun on a skate ramp tonight getting used to going backwards down a slope.

All really simple basic things, but I am slowly getting more of a natural feel for things.

Surely other people on Poly have skated in the past. How long did it take you to pick up the basics?

Comment

skateboarding isn't a game

Comment

Sports = Games? Either way all I am doing is playing.

I tried making a game with my housemate using the skateboard, a baseball bat and a football. A variation on an old theme.

If someone else here started skating, we could play a game trying to get the other to try new basic tricks ( how many times can you turn left without falling on your arse etc). Like a forum game, but different.

Just trying to drum up some interest

Comment

and it's an inferior form of transportation . bicycles are better.

I had a phase when I was into skateboards. But I could never do any tricks. I value my nuts too much to do tricks. I preferred my dirt bike. I never did tricks with that either. I was more into speed.

And a 31 year old guy on a skateboard would look a bit funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty
                Sports = Games? Either way all I am doing is playing.
                gee, if sports (at least participatory ones) are on topic here, that opens up all kinds of possibilities

POTM likes to scooter. Im hoping to get another bike soon, old one got stolen. But next major purchase is new PC, maybe this week. After which i buy EU2, to get back on to the regular topic of the forum.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

and it's an inferior form of transportation . bicycles are better.

Yep, no argument from me there. I like long distance cycling, even camping overnight sometimes. When I go for a drink in whatever town I end up in, I dont like locking my bike up in town in case the local chavs get to it. A skateboard would be a great way to get into town from the campsite.

I can skate about jogging speed now. I have been out tonight racing my gf skateboard vs jogging. Lots of fun. Im amazed at the progress I have made over the weekend. So much more confident at basic riding.

gee, if sports (at least participatory ones) are on topic here, that opens up all kinds of possibilities

Anything to compete with exponential growth these forum games.

Anyway, it would be socially responsible of Apolyton to give +1s for people participating in sports and discussing it. Anything to fight obesity and promote healthy living.

To be honest, If I were discussing improving my golf swing or something I would have put it in the OT, so I have probably put this thread in the wrong place. I was worried it would just turn into another argument about abortion or something. Luckily I dont think this thread is going to turn into an all pile on spam fest though.

Comment

No, simply because not much people around here like skateboarding .
                    I find that there are better ways to experience a 'kick' without hurting thyself as much

PS: Join the fight against chavs at http://www.chavscum.co.uk/
                    Even though I'm not from Britain and I don't knkow the phenomeneon irl myself it seems like a gruesome disease
                    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Working...
                    X