Thrift Store Junkie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
    Why would you want three copies of 7th Guest?
    Well, I got the 2nd one when I didn't remember I had already got it, and the third because it had a manual with it.
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
      at game manuals with no games
      ahh, but occaisionally, I will get a game I already have a manual for, such as with simEarth or Cobat Flight Simulator.

Besides, reading the manual will often give me an idea of how much I want to play the game. and for alot of older stuff, the home of those canines will often have it.
      Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
      ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

But of course we don't condone their behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

here in the USA a store, usually run by a charity, where you can give away your old stuff. This either warms your heart, or gives you a tax deduction for charitable giving, or both. The store then sells the stuff either to poor people, thus helping the poor, or to bargain hunters like Father B. The proceeds go to help either the poor or, occasionally, some other charity. The store is normally run by volunteers.

They can be decent places to buy old clothes - i have bought haloween costumes there. They sell old lamps and stuff as well - i wouldnt trust that stuff. They also sometimes have old books or old CD's - music, and occasionally a game or other software. I have NEVER found a decent game, and quickly judged it wasnt worth looking there. Evidently some have had better luck, and have looked alot harder.
          We have those sort of stores over here as well. It sometimes pays to look around. IF you know what you're looking for/at. I can always find a Commodore C64/A500 hidden on a topshelf somewhere. The chance that you'll find one in a US thriftstore is long gone however, the CBM enthusiasts picked them clean going by older posts on the CBM newsgroups.

That you get tax deductions in the USA is new for me. You can even get a tax deduction for giving away your old sofa?
          Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
            Beneath A Steel Sky

You paid too much for that one

Yup, it's distributed for free with SCUMMVM.
            Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Originally posted by CapTVK

We have those sort of stores over here as well. It sometimes pays to look around. IF you know what you're looking for/at. I can always find a Commodore C64/A500 hidden on a topshelf somewhere. The chance that you'll find one in a US thriftstore is long gone however, the CBM enthusiasts picked them clean going by older posts on the CBM newsgroups.

That you get tax deductions in the USA is new for me. You can even get a tax deduction for giving away your old sofa?
              Yes. You give away anything of value to a legitimate charity you can get a deduction. The group you donate to is supposed to give you a receipt for the estimated value, though theyll sometime let YOU estimate the value. If you're reasonable the tax authorities wont look to closely - if you claim a huge amount in total, or something that sounds high for the kind of item, you might be inviting an audit from the tax authorities. Charities actually solicit for old cars on the radio.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                But of course we don't condone their behaviour.
                well its still better by far than people who pirate games that are still for sale

Even I can see the case for DLing abandonware. I think on that the publishers really out to go a bit easier.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

well its still better by far than people who pirate games that are still for sale
                  You mean like Tass?

Comment

I've found the Creatures trilogy at a Dollar Store. I have to figure out what the heck I'm supposed to do with those little things that follow the ball, but I guess I'm supposed to lure them across the screen?

IRT Abondonware:

I don't see a problem with DLing it. I wish companies would create little Graveyard divisions where they'll burn you a CD and ship it to you for a profit.

And all these emulators and such. Nintendo, Sega, etc could make a good little profit by buying an emulator and selling it along with a CD packed with ROMs. I don't think this would cost too much to do.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

You mean like Tass?
                      Id rather not personalize it, eh?

Comment

Working...
                      X