Ground Control II: Operation Exodus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground Control II: Operation Exodus

I know you guys mostly only like historical strategy games. Me too.

However this game shattered my every pre-conception.

If any of you are interested in how a military combat works on the tactical level - this is an excellent game which demonstrates it perfectly. (admittedly, at times, using futuristic alien creatures).

You have all kinds of units - different infantry and mechanised units for both attack and oeprational support, and even airships.

But unlike most C&C / AoE games - you actually need them and need to make important tactical decisions.

You actually feel things like line of sight, height superiority and so on.

The modeling is quite realistic (except for foot soldiers who are somwhat too healthy) and there aren't "rock paper scissors" methods, but instead a very sound modelling of different armor types and weapon types.

Instead of pouring MBTs (or cavalry) like you normally would in most strategy games you can actually "feel" the difference between units and their fire type and rate (unlike most C&C / RoN shooters).

At the more advanced levels you simply can't play without "joined arms" where you have all kinds of different units for different missions on the battle ground.

Both footmen, "scout" units, MBTs, tactical support, strategical support, aerial support.

It isn't too difficult of a game (Except for advanced levels) but it forces you to run a small force properly.

And you only deal with combat here - no base building. Merely capturing landing sites and tactical points, and dropping off new units.

I sympathise when you dont get a response any time soon, having had a few threads like that myself

Maybe your avatar is too scary?

I've heard of the game, and the origonal one - much of the origonal critism's were that it was very hard to get a handle on the battle when in among your troops, so hopefuly its something they sorted out with this new version?

Still for me its acadmeic, RTS is nearly my least favourite game type, especialy when using 3D engines - I feel you tend to loose too much tactical control, so since AoE i've left them alone for the most part, nice to look at but for me too unweildy.
    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Re: Ground Control II: Operation Exodus

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
      I At the more advanced levels you simply can't play without "joined arms" where you have all kinds of different units for different missions on the battle ground.

Thats called "combined arms" in American English.

Have you played Close Combat? Or Combat Mission?
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
      X