Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sent
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

• I sent my orders in sometime yesterday, too. Just to let everyone know.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

• damn tonnage marker, makes my all frigates strategy less viable.

Comment

• That was actually a strategy and not just an ego boosting / making the GM's job easier thing?
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

• I thought that Whoha and I had the role of making both the early attack with Frigates and the building bases with no ships strategies both obsolete

.....and I thought we both did quite well ...in making those strategies seem obviously unworkable

/me

Note: Didn't Smiley try the same strategy as Whoha a couple of games ago? and last until almost the very end by using it as well??
            "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• Yeah, but that was because I didn't raise a shield on a crucial turn that he won that game.
              He who knows others is wise.
              He who knows himself is enlightened.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• I'm not sure that it is a bad strat, Whoha just attacked every turn, which made sliding in with 1-2 ships and taking his bases...easy.
                We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

• Interesting strategies from various GO games:
                  -------------------------------------------------------
                  Attack early and often
                  I used this strategy effectively in the first GO game until I was clearly in the lead and everyone else decided to ally.

All-laser fleet
                  Used in an earlier game under a different rules system where all six rounds were fought before damage was calculated. Opponents had a hard time guessing exactly where in the OoB the lasers would be and took heavy damage. Downside was mutual annihilation when encountering another laser fleet.

Torpedoes and Fighters fleet
                  Especially useful now that some battles end after the third round, allows firepower concentration. Its predictablity means however that it can be countered by lasers and fighters.

Building bases past the first 6
                  While this gives lots of BPs without having as many bases, reducing attractiveness of self as a target, players still tend to go after the leader.

Spy abuse
                  While the rule change from the last game prevented Infinite Spy Sleaze with a single player, two or more players working together can still lock down the battlefield and choose when to fight.

Alliance backstabbing
                  Pays off very well the first and only time.

Single ship attacks
                  Like playing the lotto. The opportunity cost is significant though, as spies and shields are also nice things to have.

Comment

• Speaking of spy abuse, I recommend changing the rules so that someone can only be spied successfully 2 rounds in a row. The 3rd round they are immune from everyone's spies. The fourth round they can be spied again. This prevents both 2-player lockup at the endgame and alliance lockup of enemies, while allowing people to build spies and use them in the same round.
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

• Or, for every successive turn, it takes one more spy to stop the orders from getting through.

Comment

• Both seem quite inelegant compared to the current solution.

Comment

• Turn 9 - The GM is getting anxious

When is this battle going to happen? The GM and the spectators are anxious and are starting to become restless.

The Klingons didn’t build a single ship this time. They are probably still trying to recover form the slaughter of their ship construction engineers in the last turn.

The others built ships to the maximum of their production capacity and repeated the routine of sending saboteurs against Smiley and Spaced Cowboy. The two spies managed to stop the planned attacks against Skanky Burns and General Tacticus respectively.

However, Kassiopeia’s spy sent against Spaced Cowboy was captured just after he had destroyed the depot containing the entire reserves of dylithium crystals of the Empire of Space Dudes. The spy was summarily executed. Perhaps if Spaced Cowboy’s counter-intelligence service had been working more efficiently and with larger budget, they might have been able to capture the spy before he could do the actual damage. Spaced Cowboy would have been able to carry out his planned attack then.

Code:
                          Galactic Overlord

Player Name Bases BPs TotalShips Frigates(1) Cruisers(2) Battleships(3) Dreadnaughts(4) Titans(5)
                          Las Fig Torp Las Fig Torp Las Fig Torp Las Fig Torp Las Fig Torp
                          :) Smiley 6(12) 54 2/235/66 2 195 - - - - - - - - 10 4 - - 10
                          GeneralTacticus 7(5) 45 94/94/94 7 7 7 - - - 1 1 1 1 1 1 16 16 16
                          joncha 1(4) 13 28/28/27 24 18 15 - 1 - - - - 1 2 3 - - -
                          Kassiopeia 1(3) 11 45/46/46 10 - 5 - - - - 1 1 5 7 7 3 3 2
                          Skanky Burns 6(4) 80 66/56/90 1 - - - - - - - - 5 4 5 9 8 14
                          Spaced Cowboy 6(8) 46 95/106/96 - - - - - - - - - - 4 4 19 18 16

Comment

• To counter the spy exploit I suggest the following modification to the rules: Introduction of another normal order called counter espionage. It would cost money (how much? 25 BP perhaps?) and it would immunise you against spies for one turn.

Comment

• 25BP for immunity for one turn? Ridiculous.

Comment

• Another interesting idea, which would prevent players from using spies to create total lockups while avoiding an arbitary limit on when spies can be used. I like it.

EDIT: Although perhaps we could say that each level purchased only defends against one spy; if more are sent, you catch the first one, and the others get through and do their thing regardless.

Comment

Working...
                                X