No announcement yet.

Rome: Total War is Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The total war AI has been known for some time for improved capabilities in the tactical map as the difficulty increases. It didnt always work against a human but the AI will try flanking attacks, ambushes, choosing better defensive ground etc. The decision is still out whether this version is better than the MTW AI.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpencerH
      The total war AI has been known for some time for improved capabilities in the tactical map as the difficulty increases. It didnt always work against a human but the AI will try flanking attacks, ambushes, choosing better defensive ground etc. The decision is still out whether this version is better than the MTW AI.
      I think the AI is better in RTW than in Medieval Total War. It does seem to use cavalry flanking attacks better, and ambushed better.

I did notice some weird behavior. In one battle, the Gauls had a unit that had been reduced to just 1 man. For some reason, at the start of the battle, the 1 man unit just slowly walked right into my entire army. I don't know if the AI was sacrificing the unit on purpose or if the unit was trying to withdraw and just moved in the wrong direction.
      'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
      G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

• Anybody else think the tech tree goes way too fast? I managed to build an Imperial Palace or whatever it's called before 210 B.C., thus triggering the Marian Reforms over 100 years prior to their historic date. It was also so soon after getting Triarii that I only built about half a dozen Triarii and then they were obsolete.

Now I don't want to mirror history, but it would be nice if the game's tech tree was paced so that things would come close to approximate historic dates. I was thinking about doubling the build times for all buildings, but I'm not sure how the AI would handle that.
        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

• Are the Marian Reforms what give you auxilias and Roman Cavalry instead of hastati?Interesting, I got those way before 210 BC as well, by conquering Carthage and building a palace there. Not a good trigger IMHO. It makes for interesting strategy though, I'm phasing out my older troops by using them on the frontiers as random cannon fodder. I have an army of ten hastati units with less than 100 soldiers each sitting near the Germanic border in case they declare war on me.
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stuie
            Anybody else think the tech tree goes way too fast? I managed to build an Imperial Palace or whatever it's called before 210 B.C., thus triggering the Marian Reforms over 100 years prior to their historic date. It was also so soon after getting Triarii that I only built about half a dozen Triarii and then they were obsolete.

Now I don't want to mirror history, but it would be nice if the game's tech tree was paced so that things would come close to approximate historic dates. I was thinking about doubling the build times for all buildings, but I'm not sure how the AI would handle that.
            I've only played one short campaign so far (on easy) but I found that I had often built all the buildings for that city size long before reaching the next size city. I conquered gaul before triggering the Marian reforms so I didnt get to build the legions (or many hastati for that matter).
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

• Originally posted by Kassiopeia
              Are the Marian Reforms what give you auxilias and Roman Cavalry instead of hastati?Interesting, I got those way before 210 BC as well, by conquering Carthage and building a palace there. Not a good trigger IMHO. It makes for interesting strategy though, I'm phasing out my older troops by using them on the frontiers as random cannon fodder. I have an army of ten hastati units with less than 100 soldiers each sitting near the Germanic border in case they declare war on me.
              You get auxillas and roman cav without the marian reforms. IIRC its one of the stable upgrades that comes after a 12,000 size city.

Comment

• I did get Legionary Cavalry, Early Cohorts, Legionary Cohorts, and Praetorian Cohorts at the same time too. I'd wager that those are Marian units, since they are more professionally oriented troops?
                Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• Well... if you're playing on easy... hmmm?

-Jam
                  1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                  That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                  Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                  Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

• Senate mission: The Senate requests the suicide of your faction leader.

If you fail: Your faction will be outlawed.

Yes/No?

Well I always liked civil wars

Comment

• Sounds like you have a republic to monarchitize (Senate must be pretty pompous to request THAT).
                      I changed my signature

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamski
                        Well... if you're playing on easy... hmmm?

-Jam
                        NEVER! Medium Why would difficulty affect that?

Comment

• Wrong thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamski
                            Well... if you're playing on easy... hmmm?

-Jam
                            Sure, I always play my first game on easy. I'm old. It takes me a while to come to terms with rule changes and the culture shock of infantry that run as fast as modern marathon runners. Now I'm playing as the Selucids on hard. They have elephants and chariots with scythes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kassiopeia
                              I did get Legionary Cavalry, Early Cohorts, Legionary Cohorts, and Praetorian Cohorts at the same time too. I'd wager that those are Marian units, since they are more professionally oriented troops?
                              Yeah, the cohorts are the Marian troops.

Comment

• This game simply rules

Comment

Working...
                                X