Rome: Total War is Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flip McWho
    Generals are rather powerful aren't they. It's awesome how the battle between even numbers can hang on the general. I have this uber general who's also the faction leader. Man, nothing can stand in his way, he's pratically a one man army all by himself.

What do others think about the general side of things?
    Yes, generals can be very powerful but be real careful not to lose him. A victory can easily turn into a complete defeat if you lose the general because when you lose your general, your army will route.

You are right that generals can decide a battle that is otherwise even. Kill the enemy general and the enemy army will flee in panic, letting your army pursue them and cut them down, leading to a victory when both sides had been equally matched. The reverse is also true. Both sides are evenly matched so you think the battle is even, and then you lose your general and your armies flees in panic causing a defeat when otherwise things seemed balanced.
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Yeah I try to keep my general out of the hard brute fighting. I mainly have the cav to flank the enemy which quickly devastates them. Usually just flanking them and charging home with the General is enough to turn the gauls into a rout at least. Then you just pursue and destroy at your own pleasure.

Comment

Yes, generals can be very powerful but be real careful not to lose him

Seems like a bit too much to me (overpowered) and perhaps exploitable.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva
          Yes, generals can be very powerful but be real careful not to lose him

Seems like a bit too much to me (overpowered) and perhaps exploitable.
          You mean the effect when losing a general is too expoitable. Perhaps. But it is realistic. Generals played a huge role in ancient warfare, and many battles were won or lost when the general or enemy general was killed.
          'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"

Comment

The general tips the balance, and I think it's fine the way it is. Generals are your family members, and are essential in fighting *and* politics and managing your cities. You get very careful when the general you're using has a management value of five and can make even the smallest backwater shantyville flourish. More so if he's the only faction heir alive!

I've had a few battles where I've lost the general, but the Romans seem to take it pretty decently. Of course those weren't generals as such, they were captains (fill-ins, placeholders, who totally suck).

I also played a few historical battles (Teutoburg Forest and Anchepaholytis or something) and they were hard!
            Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
              I've had a few battles where I've lost the general, but the Romans seem to take it pretty decently. Of course those weren't generals as such, they were captains (fill-ins, placeholders, who totally suck).
              I'm sticking with an old "house rule" that only allows me to fight the battles in which a family member is present. If a captain is in charge, I auto-calc the combat. Makes the role-playing aspect a bit more interesting.

As for Generals, I love the way they are implemented. Makes for some tough decisions between leading armies or managing cities. And I like the fact that they die as easily as any other figure on the map. I've had a couple lost in battle due to poor timing of what I thought would be a flanking manuever, only to have the defenders wheel around and pounce on my leader. Good stuff.
              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
                I also played a few historical battles (Teutoburg Forest and Anchepaholytis or something) and they were hard!
                How many of you have played the historical battles?

I tried playing them but they seem really hard.

Comment

Has anyone noticed that if you have a general governing a town and for many years and he leaves to go to the front and is replaced by someone else that the townsfolk get upset?

I suppose they get to know and love their master and when he leaves them the people get upset.

Nice touch!
                  signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Are you sure it's not because the new governor has a lower Management rating?
                    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

not management rating but influence is what caused the unrest.

I looked at the settlement details scroll and saw that his influence went a long way towards keeping people happy.
                      signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

I've been WAY too busy playing Rome: Total War to read this thread in several days.

Now that I see it, I'll see what I can do about screenshots.

I've been playing as the Brutii. It's now 223 BC and I've conquered all of Greece, Macedonia, Thrace, northern Italy, and modern France. I just got the message a few turns back that I could attack Rome and become Imperator, but I'm putting that off for now.

I've had so many really cool battles, but I'll say this about a recent battle I fought with the Gauls:

Onagers+Archers both using fire shot kick serious a--!!!

I just show up at a Gaulic village with a ton of swordsmen inside (they seem to build little else) and pummel the snot out of it with onagers and tons of archers using either normal shot or fire shot (depending on the situation). Once that bombardment has killed at least 2/3 of the enemy's swordsmen, I break the gate down easily with ballistae and move in with legionaries and cavalry to finish the place off (having told the archers and onagers to cease fire except in limited cases, of course).

This generally leads to battles where I'll kill 500+ Gauls and lose 10-15 Romans at most.

What can I say? Artillery rocks.

As for field battles, highly trained archers are INCREDIBLY DEADLY against enemy infantry. All of the enemies I've faced so far (Greeks, Macedonians, Thracians, Gauls) seem to use very little cavalry and relatively few archers (other than the Thracians, against which I used cavalry for that reason).

I can send in an army of well-trained archers covered by a few legionary units and decimate an entire army of the enemy just with archer fire. Cavalry Auxilia (horse archers) are even more effective, especially with the Cantabrian Circle special ability. Most enemy swordsmen/spearmen don't stand a chance being torn apart from long range like that.

I think such a strategy won't work as well against the Britons or the Eastern factions because they have more cavalry and chariots at their disposal.
                        Last edited by Arnelos; September 28, 2004, 20:59.
                        Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                        Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                        7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Anyone know what exact;y unlocks the different factions? After playing as the Julii and wiping out the gauls I can now play as them. I'm just wondering if you have to fight the last battle against them as they are wiped out, or if there is some mroe complicated trigger?
                          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I thought it was if you completed the campaign you unlocked all of the rest.

Comment

You can *either* complete the entire campaign *or* crush the faction in the campaign. Both work.

I've been playing as the Brutii. It's now 223 BC and I've conquered all of Greece, Macedonia, Thrace, northern Italy, and modern France. I just got the message a few turns back that I could attack Rome and become Imperator, but I'm putting that off for now.
                              I wonder if I just suck or if I'm being too careful, as the Julii I have only southern France, Corinth, Sparta, Segesta, Cirta and Carthage, and that little one on Corsica. This in 220 BC. Playing medium diff here btw.

Comment

Forums

Originally posted by Flip McWho
                                Does anybody know where I can find battle tatics out? Hmm I suppose they have a forum. But yeah, I definitely need to learn how to become a better general myself. At the moment I suck. Please don't tell me I need to sit down and read The Art Of War
                                Plenty of forums at:
                                The most active discussion forum on the Web for the Total War series of computer games.

Forum, Totalwar, Shogun, Medieval, Rome, Empire, Napoleon, STW, MTW, RTW, VI, BI, Alexander, M2TW, ETW, NTW, S2TW, CA, Creative Assembly, Tournament, Multiplayer, Replays

Comment

Working...
                                X