No announcement yet.

Rome: Total War is Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a blast playing as Parthia. Horse archers will tear everything up, even Egyptian Chariots.

Already conquered the Romans playing the Greek cities, lot of fun as well. You really have to learn to manage your skirmishers.

Has anybody gotten past 150 BC? Every single game I've played has been won or lost by 175 BC at the latest, isn't the end date 14 AD? I wonder how they expected everyone to last that long. Romans have to be toned down IMO.

Comment

• Yep, I'm wrapping up my Imperial Campaign, still need ten more regions. I haven't even tried out any of the foreign nations I've unlocked so far, and I've had a go at only two Historical Battles. Should be a lot of life in it left.
      I'm effectively in the same position. It's definitely a game that is gonna keep me entertained for weeks to come at least. This alone is a feat in of itself.

to R:TW

Comment

• I'm still playing the Germans, whose small Techtree (3 Steps) allows them to access their ÃœberUnits quite fast if I enslave unimportant Regions. Damn those last Units are Cool, and by cool i mean totally sweet.
        EliteAxemen, Berserkers, Gothic Cavallery =

Still havent played as any other Nation yet, the Romans look so ... boring to me.
        Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

• How did you get to play the Germans before playing any of the Romans?
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• There´s a mod that allows to play any faction, I´ll try after I finnish my first Imperial Campaign

Contrary to all of you I´m having a tough game, playing as the Julii my forces are divided fighting the gauls horde and the cartaginians. The gauls outnumber me on every battle 3 to 1 or more , but my legions somehow, with great losses managed to survive, Cartago and one city island have been captured on the other side and I´m doing well over there so far, sadly my faction leader died of old age a few turns after the cartaginian Capital was taken delaying the conquest of all the remaining cities due to not being able to train more troops to maintain public order and keep moving.
            I like this game
            The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

• I've tried a few of the non-Roman factions after an easy win with the Brutii (dominate Greece and Asia Minor and the game is pretty much in the bag with the outrageous trade income).

The Carthaginians definitely have it difficult with stubborn neighbours and an almost immediate war with the Greeks and Romans for dominance of Sicily (though I'm not complaining, since they really did have it tough). I even had to abandon Sardinia to the Julii, since it wasn't cost-effective to send troops to defend it. But so long as I can hold Lilybaeum, Corduba and the homeland, I'm sure I can make the wheels turn my way eventually, at least until I get my elephants rumbling forward into battle.

I've also had a crack at the Parthians, and it was just staggering how powerful their horse archers are. Especially since the neighbouring Seleucids are using mostly hoplites and levy pikemen. Once I get the economy going, and finished off the Seleucids, I'm certain it will be cakewalk dominating the eastern half of the map. Though it has been a slow start with the lack of a strong early economy.

I've also started as the Britons, and having a merry old time hurling heads at the Gauls, Germans and Julii. Though the absence of decent cavalry will be making me reevaluate the composition of my armies (though I am taking a liking to Light Chariots as well as head hurlers for peppering the enemy with missiles).

I'm still certain this game will continue to be the one I spend most of my gaming time on for a very long time. It's even taken me off Neverwinter Nights, and that isn't easy to do. Though I'll be waiting a while before I get into multiplayer (funnily enough I never actually tried multiplayer of the previous two of this series. I'm hoping to break that trend with this game).
              "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
              "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
              "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by Unspeakable Horror
                There´s a mod that allows to play any faction, I´ll try after I finnish my first Imperial Campaign
                After you win a campaign you dont need the mod.
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• to unlock the Germans (or another Faction) do this

Spoiler:

in

RTW/Data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt

the File lists like this:

campaign imperial_campaign
                  playable
                  romans_julii
                  romans_brutii
                  romans_scipii
                  end
                  unlockable
                  egypt
                  seleucid
                  carthage
                  parthia
                  gauls
                  germans
                  britons
                  greek_cities
                  end

(Backup it before changign anything of course ;=) )

Then I simply cut Germans out and added it under playable.

I would NOT recommend unlocking the Faction listed under unplayable.

Worked like a Charm, I guess this Mod does the Same but frankly its so simply One can do it by himself
                  Or do A short campaign :=)

Unspeakable Horror is the only one playing on Hard it seems ;=)

Comment

• Wow my first Spoiler tag and it worked immediatly - Impressive.

Comment

• Damn, you mean it was set "in stone" that you couldn't play the other factions?

I thought you just had to finish the 'normal' campaign before opening the rest...
                      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

• I was looking around gamespot and saw this game and was all "Wow that looks kewl I'll go start a thread at Poly!"

Oh well. That's what I get for spending all my time on the OT.

I just bought it, and if it is as good as you all say it is, I'll see you in a month..
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

• It is and you will enjoy as we all are
                          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• I'm having sound issues. It's like I am cupping my hands over my ears, on and off... real annoying.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

• The sound just seems to be a problem during the movies. Hope that ain't an issue in the future.

I played for a few turns on the tutorial.

The fighting is awesome, the graphic rock, and I think I will like the city management.

The fighting seemed to pause a lot, like it was trying to catch up... that's the only complaint I have for now, though it is a pretyy big complaint.

And, I have a Pentium 4, 2.53 Ghz with 512 MB SDRAM and a 16x DVD... I shouldn't see such delays.

No idea what is wrong. Any ideas?
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Adagio
                                Damn, you mean it was set "in stone" that you couldn't play the other factions?

I thought you just had to finish the 'normal' campaign before opening the rest...
                                It was "set in stone" that you had to unlock the non-roman factions before you could play them. Of course, it took about 5min for someone to find ways to unlock everything.
                                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                                X