Star Wars: Battlefront

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars: Battlefront

Anybody have this game or played it? I saw a commercial for it and it looks okay, but I've been burned by game commercials before. Hopefully somebody here has played it.

star wars games generally are decent but i've gotten bored of them. they are usually not much different from the last star wars games. in fact some of them are very similar. iirc one relreased on gamecube was only an enhanced version of a n64 game.
    Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

if it doesn't have a pc version you automatically know it's crap.

So I ask, does this game have a PC version?

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

So I ask, does this game have a PC version?
        Yes. It's a dual X-Box (with X-Box Live play) and PC (with online play) release.

Reviews so far have been pretty favorable for the multiplayer component and have been dumping on the single player component (which seems to have only been tacked on as a tutorial for online play in any case).

I personally don't think I'm going to spend the money or time on it, but if you're into spending money on this sort of thing and you have the time, it doesn't look bad.

Personally, I think I'm going to swing my game dollars toward Rome: Total War instead this month.
        Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
        Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
        7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

I've got it queued up, I'll let you know. too many games....not enough time.
          We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Comment

show me examples where this is not true. the roll eyes smiley doesn't cut it

platforms have had good games. But these games are also on PC. examples: KOTOR, Morowind, Madden NFL football, Halo etc.

Comment

Romance of Three Kingdoms doesn't have PC version but they're cool.
                Who is Barinthus?

Comment

You are out of your mind. The RoTK is a pc game as well. A simple google search of RoTK PC will give you 100's of hits.
                  We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

I just can't love the console thing as far as subscription stuff goes(gives me 'matrix' type worries), so i doubt i'll be getting it if the single player part is no good, which is a shame as i love star wars stuff.

how about 'Zelda - legend of the wind walker' ? - i dont think this came out on PC, but is regarded as a pretty good console rpg? (this could be a game like 'name the game'.......)
                    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

show me examples where this is not true. the roll eyes smiley doesn't cut it

platforms have had good games. But these games are also on PC. examples: KOTOR, Morowind, Madden NFL football, Halo etc.
                      so did Halo suddenly become a good XBox game when the PC version was released? Wasn't KOTOR in a similar situation (although I may be wrong on that one)?

Off the top of my head, 'Riddick' is a top game that isn't out on the PC, your statement was too much of a generalization IMHO, like saying sports franchise games on the PC are cr@p unless theres a console version as well,

Comment

There clearly ARE some good games that were originally developed for consoles. No question at all.

I suppose the point is that if the console market actually makes a great game, it almost never fails to be ported to PC. By contrast, if there's a really great game developed for PC, there is no guarantee whatsoever that it will even be capable of being ported to a console, nevermind that if it's capable that it would happen.

That said, in recent years the console market has exploded to such an extent that even traditional PC developers are tayloring games to the console market (or dual release console and PC). I can't blame any of these companies for that trend: the console market simply has more money in it these days. KOTOR is actually a good example of this trend. It's the type of game that BioWare and Atari would have developed entirely for PC only 5-6 years ago, but developed for X-Box and PC together (and even released the X-Box version first) because there's more money in the console market.

That said, it's absolutely true that consoles simply cannot offer the graphical demands and grognard-level strategic depth to many games that a suped-up PC can along with the various niches in the PC audience compared to the bulk of the console audience. KOTOR might have been offered on both X-Box and PC, but it looks better on just about any PC. Fans of Deus Ex were pissed off at Deus Ex 2 not so much because it was developed for both PC and X-Box, but because the dual development resulted in a half-rate PC game hobbled by the severe memory and game controller limitations of the X-Box.

Ultimately, I think that because PCs are simply more powerful you're going to find that a higher number of "better" games can be produced on PCs because there are fewer limitations on what a developer can dream up and then deliver. That said, great games have never been entirely determined by hardware limitations. The original M.U.L.E. developed on the 8-bit Atari systems of the 1980s is an AWESOME game, as are countless others.

There ARE some great console games out there, but again most of them can and have been ported to PC where it rarely works the other way around.
                        Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                        Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                        7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by pg
                          star wars games generally are decent but i've gotten bored of them. they are usually not much different from the last star wars games. in fact some of them are very similar. iirc one relreased on gamecube was only an enhanced version of a n64 game.
                          You mean RS2? I call BS. I have that game, and it is not a copy of RS.

Comment

i played both some but i didn't beat either. i thought they were alike(using the same missions/battles? not to mention the same gameplay) but it has been a long time so maybe i am wrong. i also didn't say it was a copy i said enhanced which is quite different. the only place i found mention of it being similar via a quick google was in reader reviews on gamefaq.com where a few mentioned it.
                            Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

There is a demo of the game in the new Star Wars boxed DVD sets (disc 4), not sure if it's PC as well but definealty XBox, I played it for about 30 mins last night, good but not great.

Comment

Working...
                              X