battle for wesnoth a free open source game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battle for wesnoth a free open source game

anyone else played this? i just downloaded it and played the tutorial(which seems up to good commercial game standards) a bit and am going to play some more but it looks so good i had to inform you good people first. it seems to be basically a fire emblem/advance wars type of game. it also uses hexes yay!

i really like the style of the graphics too and that they are 2d. it's actually pretty impressive for a open source game as it has good graphics, and some decent music, and apparently multiplayer too along(i haven't played yet but i did join the lobby fine) with single player campaigns(it comes with a like 5).

http://www.wesnoth.org/ - official site

http://wesnoth.slack.it/units.cgi? - shows all the units, pretty cool.
    Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

There was a big thread about this a while ago, alot of us where playing multiplayer together.

Haven't played in a while... maybe I will when I have some free time.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

i must have missed that thread. heh. oops, /me goes to do forum search.

i can't believe i missed that huge thread. now i feel stupid.

EDIT: i thought it was a forum game thread. that's why threads should be labelled clearly like this one.
      Last edited by pg; September 19, 2004, 12:12.

Comment

Fun game indeed and yes, quite a thread it was. Must DL the new release now i think of it. 0.8.3 has the final scenario included.

P.S
        You're at the dwarven doors with silver mages already?
        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

For the record, General Ludd likes Drakes. I myself go for Orcs.
          Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Comment

wow this game is amazing for a free game. multiplayer is flawless over my 28.8k modem too. this game uses like no bandwidth at all. i've had it running for at least a few hours and it has used less than 500k up and down combined. i use the name pg so if you see me say hi. i think i maybe playing this a bit for a while at least.

i haven't played too many games i've mostly been observing to figure stuff out but i have noticed a few problems. it seems stalemates happen quite a bit that i've seen. it also seems weird you can only have one leader so you can only use one castle at a time. games seem to take really long because of all the movement and the fact it's tbs. i'd really like to see a timed mode with king of the hill, ctf, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by CapTVK
              For the record, General Ludd likes Drakes. I myself go for Orcs.
              Drakes and undead.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

i've only played one game so far in multiplayer. i was the orcs vs the rebels/dwarves. it was a very defensive oriented map so we aborted after a while(we were getting nowhere) but i was really surprised how quickly i picked up the game and how forgiving it is to learn. i quickly learned which units do good vs what just by trying it out.

rts lovers should at least try this game as it gives me the same vibe. that means you drspike!

Comment

He's still having nightmares over what would happen if World of Warcraft turned out to be a turkey/sweet dreams over it arriving at last.

Comment

It's got orcs in it so I might give it a glance.

Comment

Maybe it's time to hold the banner high on the field once more!

Comment

At least they don't spell it 'ork'.

Comment

Ludd, TVK, and I had some nice 1v1s and 2v2s back in the day.
                          I changed my signature

Comment

"Get those Drakes some glasses!"

General Ludd during a terrific battle to capture a bridge with a contingent of drakes

Comment

Bastard drakes, like 4 of em couldn't kill a little nearly dead mageling.
                              I changed my signature

Comment

Working...
                              X