Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General thinking about mixing RTS and TBS

The article is here : http://www.geocities.com/golub_m2000/bsystem/ind.htm
    And the second part is here : http://www.geocities.com/golub_m2000...em/pcspecs.htm

Read and respond
    May be cool if properly implemented
    50.00%
    Stupid
    0.00%
    Awful ****
    16.67%
    How much hit points would bananas have?
    33.33%
    money sqrt evil;
    My literacy level are appalling.

Hm... Boycot?
    money sqrt evil;

Comment

Summary?
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

im not real interested in an abstract discussion of strat gaming systems, with the problems of time scale and turn number, and unit balance, in the abstract. 1. I havent played enough different games to really comment, but more importantly 2. It depends on what you are modeling. Lots of problems are caused by incompatibilities between the nominal time scale of the game story and the level of granularity of combat - certainly this is true in games ive played, civ and AoE.

And BTW, you'll need to clarify the English - perhaps we can help with the editing?
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Yes, language help is welcome as my English is awful
          money sqrt evil;

Comment

it's not that i'm not interested in this stuff but your english makes it a bit hard to read and your a bit too detailed to really interest me. i read the first paragraph on both(along with looking through the rest) and they went over my head and i usually love this type of discussion. i don't understand what your points are and why you are discussing this stuff.
            Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Rise of Nation had a Risk-like Part which seemed quite nice.
              Of course i never bothered to click the Link so..
              Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

lets help edit

"One of the most serious challenges previous developers of wargames faced is organizing the need for real co-ordination between units on the one side and the need for different types of units on the other hand. Too often developers who solved only the first part of problem created the best battle plan: "Attck with the maximum number of high-end units in one direction". Those who managed to solve the second part of the problem without solving first part provide another solution: "Hot A with B, B with C and C with A". Even fulfilling both parts of the challenge does not garantee good game balance. For example it could be "fixed group composition", not maintaining straight frontline, etc.
                "

One of the most serious challenges previous developers of wargames faced is the need to incorporate a diversity of units, while enabling players to co-ordinate these units realistically in combined arms formations. Some developers solved this problem by presenting systems that forced players to an optimal battle plan of creating homogenous formations consisting entirely of the best unit available, which eased the issue of coordinating formations, while others adopted a rock-paper-scissors system which forced players to used combined arms formations. Even combining these approaches could not guarantee game balance. For example it could lead to standard combined arms formations, unrealistic formations, etc.

Muxec - I guess first you need to clarify what you mean by "real coordination of units" and how developer solved that problem, and what relation this solution has to "Attack with the maximum number of high-end units in one direction". For the moment i cant figure out what youre trying to say in your first two sentences.

youre a native Russian speaker? Perhaps if you could get the attention of one of our Russian speakers, you could write this out in Russian and they could translate for you?
                Last edited by lord of the mark; September 3, 2004, 09:56.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Great, thank you... I need to improve my English... Maybe later ; )
                  money sqrt evil;

Comment

Working...
                  X