Cutthroats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutthroats

I'm still feeling piratey after playing 'Pirates of the Carabbean' , so i'm now playing Cutthroats by Eidos.

gamespot review

this is quite a typical review - it got slated for bugs and bad graphics etc.

Still the first time around(a few years ago) i didn't think it was so bad - not as immediately captivating as Sid's 'Pirates!' (or the gold version), but it did offer a whole heap more complexity and much better graphics.

Now i'm playing it again using the latest patch and i'm kinda loving it generaly speaking - i think that first time a few years back got me used to its fiddly menu/management issues, Sea battles are still way too easy for the most part(due to the AI loving to gets its ships entagled!).

Good pirate atmosphere - no crashes so far

But whats your views - is it worth me putting in the hard core effort and time? I've already made up some tables in excel for trading info etc
    Pirate heaven
    0.00%
    as luke warm as the pacific ocean.
    0.00%
    worst pirate game in Davey Jones locker
    0.00%
    bananna rum
    100.00%
    Last edited by child of Thor; August 28, 2004, 08:11.
    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Im not voting yet as i've only put in about 40hrs or so of playing.

I had a mammoth session over the bankholiday weekend - 15hrs in total!!!!

I've had too crashes and the land battles seemed really sluggish. Still i've turned my graphic card acceleration down a few notches and they run smoother now - according to the FAQ it might solve some crashing problems, so i'll have to wait and see.

Overall impresions are mostly very good - you do feel like you're a pirate, maybe more so than in Sid's origonal Pirates!, the music/sounds and better graphics help in this, but its definately not as intuitive to pick up and play.

I'm running the latest patch, you can get it here .

After i was a little duped by the great looking graphics of Pirates of the Carabbean, i'm looking to see if an old 2D game like this(and Pirates!) can still cut it in gameplay and pirate fun?
    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Working...
    X