what should i buy next (old games)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by General Ludd
    I will second, third, fifth, or whatever, X-Com and the Master of Orion games.

You can even PM me if you need help finding them.

MoO2 is out in a "classic" (ie shovelware, ie discount jewelbox) edition, that i saw at a local EB. Others are available at Ebay, Amazon, I suppose.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Arnelos
      I do have to agree that the original Master of Orion is a hell of a lot better of a game than Master of Orion II.

MoO deserves its place as one of the best games ever made. MoO2 at least gets into the stadium, but certainly doesn't quite win any prizes.

Problem these days is getting the original MoO to run on a Windows XP system. [/QUOTE

Current system is win98, and when we get the XP system will keep the old Win98 system.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by CapTVK
        You''re missing out on a lot of hex based strategy games. I would say go straight for the Panzer General series. The PG original still is the best.

Otherwise you could go for Battle for Wesnoth (fantasy/RPG-tactics) or Advanced Strategic Command (Modern/SF- tactics/strategy)

http://www.asc-hq.org/
        I have Panzer General 2. If i get another wargame it will be in the more "realistic" direction, rather than another 5 star game. Also thinking an operational or strat level game, rather than another tactical game (PG 2 is more explicitly tactical level than PG1, IIUC)

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by lord of the mark
          Originally posted by Arnelos

Problem these days is getting the original MoO to run on a Windows XP system. [/QUOTE

Current system is win98, and when we get the XP system will keep the old Win98 system.
          I have no problems with Moo on any of the three XP PRO systems I have had, but I do keep a Win98SE, just in case.

Comment

I also have an old box with Win98 installed. It's a bit flaky, but it still comes in handy at times.

Comment

There's only one game that I haven't been able to get working with WinXP or DOSbox; X-COM Apocalypse.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've been able to.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

No, there's one game that is impossible to run in Windows XP:

Wing Commander: Privateer

Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                  Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                  7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

As for MoO in XP, the problem is remembering how to set all of those blasted Extended and Enhanced memory settings and fumbling around with config.sys and autoexec.bat just to get the stupid thing to work.

I haven't bothered to go to the trouble since last formatting my XP machine... anyone have a quicker fix? I'd love to get it running in a window if that's even possible...
                    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Working...
                    X