Stardock's: The Political Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stardock's: The Political Machine

I bought it Friday. So far it's fun. I've never particularly enjoyed these political games, but since I liked Stardock's work with GalCiv I figured I'd try this one. Apparently they have available an "Issues" creator for $10 USD via electronic download or included on-disk for $29.99. I only saw the $19.99 version at BestBuy.

At the easier levels it's predictably simple to hand George W. Bush his ass on Election Night 2004, but at the harder levels the AI cheats by having a significant financial advantage. Your opponent will fight very nasty at Masochistic difficulty level. The default candidates are Kerry vs. Bush, but you can choose from about 2 dozen different politicians from either party or create your own. There's even already been discovered a way to modify the candidates. Simply rename the .Candidate file extention to .txt and make your alterations, then switch it back. In-game, you'll have to select a different candidate then reselect your choice.

On the PM boards people are discussing various expansion pack ideas. Expanding Election Night, incorporating weather to help/hinder campaigning, Third Parties inclusion and so on.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

I must drink too much coffee. I swore it said, "Starbucks".
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Sounds interesting, but not $20 interesting.
      Visit First Cultural Industries
      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

You couldn't pay me to play this game.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Having "loaned" it from "an acquaintance", I lost interest after the first game I had with a self-made candidate against Condi Rice. I suppose I could try playing a Republican.

What we really need are 3rd parties in the game. You shouldn't need an expansion pack for that.
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I think there was a thread about this some months ago, where someone claimed that "Political machine" was basically same game as "Corporative machine", other game of Stardock, with slightly different graphics.

Comment

I saw the screenshots for that game. The resemblence is noticeable...
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I haven't played the Political Machine yet, but I don't think you could say that anymore than you could saying Rollercoaster Tycoon is the same game as Transportation Tycoon.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Re: Stardock's: The Political Machine

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                  At the easier levels it's predictably simple to hand George W. Bush his ass on Election Night 2004, but at the harder levels the AI cheats by having a significant financial advantage.
                  On normal difficulty level, I found it very easy to win as Bush. I focused on Florida, the south and the midwest. Then, I pick Arnold as Veep and do everything I can to get California, I put a HQ, tv ad, and as many operatives as possible. I actually won California, swept the South, Florida and the entire midwest, so won the election.
                  'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                  G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

I just got it. It's even more democrat/republican centered than I expected.

And it doesn't even include Kucinich.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

anyone remember this?

"Mr. President
                      Year: 1962
                      Designer: Jack Cavanaugh
                      Publisher name: 3M
                      Series: Bookshelf Games
                      Type: Board
                      No. of players: 2-4
                      English reviews: EGP
                      Rules: DBAR-RULE
                      Comment: 2 or 4 players "

http://www.gamepile.com/3m24.html
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                        I think there was a thread about this some months ago, where someone claimed that "Political machine" was basically same game as "Corporative machine", other game of Stardock, with slightly different graphics.

It is, and the "Corporate Machine" itself is based on an earlier version called "Entrepreneur". Ironically CM was simplified, apart from some code improvements, because Entrepeneur was too detailed at some points.
                        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

I had CM. Good game. Ran very easily.

PM will probably be interesting once the price becomes acceptable.
                          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

It's out already? I didn't know that. I thought it was still in Beta stage.
                            Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
                            Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

The game is a snore.

Maybe if it had a more dynamic political scene and up to 5 or 7 parties running it would be more interesting.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X