is thief III any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is thief III any good?

i was walking around town the other day and i decided to have a look in game in swansea, something which i haven't done for ages, to see if anything good had come out. anyway i'm browsing the shelves, nothing very interesting i think, and then i catch sight of it 'thief', but it's £30, it must be the new one i thought. so i had a look at the box and it seems to look very much like the other games but obviously a lot better, pretty hefty system requirements but what can you do. i loved both the thief games but i didn't buy the new one because my computer is on the blink and i'm very skint.

but i would like to know if anyone else has brought it, what they thought of it and is it worth spending £30 on it when i get myself sorted out?

i heard it was originally going to be a lot more free, sorta like a medieval grand theft auto, is that right or is it still the traditional mission structure?
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

nm, just found out you need XP to run it, what a pile of ****
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

You can run it on 98 and ME too, IIRC there is a patch or a mod for that.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

countdown till Skanky spotting anyone?
        :-p

Comment

In answer to the question of the thread:

YES, Thief III is quite good. I loved it.
          Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
          Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
          7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Howdy.

Sad to say, I still have yet to play this game past where the demo gets you to. I got to town and kind of lost interest at that point. Apparently if you force yourself to play through the town part and get to the actual missions, they are fun.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

You still have not finished it ????
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Me neither. I thought I was just getting uber-picky about games, but maybe it's not me if Mr No1 Thief fan over there also didn't really get into the game.

Comment

I haven't played I or II much so I can't say, but III was fun. It was a bit finicky near the end, but altogether it was great. A GTA it ain't, the City is pretty cramped and prowling is limited to dodging the guardsmen and the hostile faction of the day. I did burglar a few houses and a tavern, but the spoils weren't much. There's also a clear set of missions you have to pass, one after another, definitely traditional.
                  Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I played through Thief III twice.

Skanky, get past the opening town... it's well worth it.

Comment

The City aspect between missions let the rest of the game down, and I still haven't mustered up enough willpower to force myself to play through it to get back to the good bits of Thief III.

A Four Fat Chicks review sums up my feelings perfectly.
                      Alas, what should have been the most thrilling aspect of the game is in fact the one most desperately botched: the rest of Deadly Shadows is a solid nine out of ten. The City is a two. [...] As it is, it's your rancid and undercooked mussel, and you will run, not walk, to get your errands wrapped up so you can move on.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

i got it last week from Game, they had it on special offer for £19.99(xbox) if you bought something else over £5.00 in the store.

Strangely my experience was much like Skanky's - now it sits gathering dust, waiting for a rainy day while i get on with Mech Commander(PC) and LMA manager(xbox)............ i liked the first one as well, so i dont know whats going on? It just hasnt grabbed me yet - but at the same time i'm glad i got it
                        'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

I do have to agree that the missions get a solid 9/10 while the cityscape doesn't fair very well by comparison...

Some of the missions are just awesome, though... it's well worth getting to them.

Comment

Working...
                          X