Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do graphics contribute to atmosphere in games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do graphics contribute to atmosphere in games?

Decided there should be a poll base on an argument in another thread.
    Yes
    86.67%
    No
    3.33%
    Banana
    10.00%
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

While graphics are not everything, I decided to vote "yes".

How graphics contribute to atmosphere is another matter.

IMHO graphics do not need to be stunning to create atmosphere. They just need to suit the style of the game. Grim Fandango is a good example of what I mean. The graphics in that game were good, but not incredible, but they matched exactly to the "feel" that the developers wanted to convey.

So yeah...to me graphics are part of the package.

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

They can, but if a game is depending on its gfx to carry it...

Comment

Graphics can contribute to the atmosphere when they are designed for that. It's particularly true of adventure games. However, I think that games that rely too much on graphics are shallow. There are other ways to have a good atmosphere, but they are harder (it's harder to have a good story, particularly an interactive one, than good graphics, for instance).
        Clash of Civilization team member
        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Erm... everything that is part of a game contributes to the atmosphere of that game.

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I think, but Imran had said that graphics don't really matter in terms of atmosphere. And that was in terms of style, not detail.
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Y'know what? Imran was wrong.

-Jam
              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

He usually is.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Edit: Redundant post.

Edit again: I ruined your crummy joke.
                  Last edited by General Ludd; August 14, 2004, 19:26.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

You can say that again

-Jam

Comment

Wow, that's probably the first unintention double post I've ever seen.

Comment

yes. 2 examples.

first of all Morrowind. Sometimes when I'm jumping off the top of staircases (which is encouraged by this idiotic skill system), I actually clinch my gut in anticipation of hitting the ground. I almost feel like I'm actually jumping!

And I felt the graphics in KOTOR were good enough to really immerse myself in the game. Although I've mentioned this before, but the voice acting is what really does it to me. I've had a hard time doing evil actions because I'm so into the game.

Comment

Well, duh. Of course graphics contribute to atmosphere. Graphics provide all the scenery, etc. in a game!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                            Erm... everything that is part of a game contributes to the atmosphere of that game.

-Jam
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Edit again: I ruined your crummy joke.

Old != Crummy (Well, not ALWAYS )

Wow, that's probably the first unintention double post I've ever seen.

Erm, I guess you need to read more threads. Its quite a common occurance on many forums, 'poly being no exception.

-Jam

Comment

Working...
                              X