X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks cool.

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius

Q. So is this an RTS. Is there still a turn based campaign map? Has it really evolved much from Medieval: Total War?

A. Total War games are in genre of their own. If you love strategy games, you will love RTW, but this isn't an RTS, it's much, much more. You can tailor how you play the game to appeal more to your tastes. If you want a perfect balance of politics, micro management and real time epic sized battles you've got it. If you want to spend more time in the senate than on blood stained battle field you've got it. If you want to prove your might purely on how you master the art of war then you've got it.

The biggest change you'll notice is on the campaign map. The 'Risk-style' provinces have disappeared to be replaced by point-to-point movement for armies, and settlements with their own regions (hinterlands) that they draw on depending on the size of the settlement. A big, advanced city will have more influence on its surrounds than a small town. Armies and characters on this map are now fully animated and march (or sneak, in the case of spies!) to fulfil your orders.

Cities generate income and train new troops, drawing on local resources. Each city can be assigned a governor, who will do his best (well, probably) to manage the place and keep order.

What is cool and new is that when you fight a battle to control the city, every building that's in a city on the campaign map is there on the battlefield. Destroy a building in a siege, and it's gone on the campaign map. Storm a city and take it with siege towers, batterings rams or artillery and you'll find that you can use any buildings still standing to further your plans of conquest. Better still, the buildings in a town even show who made them, as each culture has its own style of architecture!
      MORE: http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotal...cID=2341.topic
      They still didn't answer the question!

Comment

sorta a bit off topic but anyways...

the history channel is using this engine to show parts of historic battles in their show decisive battles or command decisions(i don't remember which). the bad part about this is they should have just taken the bbc show time commander and showed that as it's 100x better.
        Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

I'm so excited I don't know if red is better than green, but....

BUT!

..but I'll be waiting one month after release before I buy ANY computer game again.

It would be stupid not to.

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

My kids are very excited about this.

When is the release date?????
            *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

UK posters, is this the same engine that 'Time Commanders' used?

Comment

Reds; yes

EDIT: maybe, possibly not R:TW engine
                Last edited by laurentius; August 2, 2004, 16:52.
                Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

From the FAQ:

Q. Can I buy the Time Commanders game?

A. Time Commanders uses the Total War engine and Rome: Total War will ship with a number of historical battles - as is usual with the Total War series. There are, however, currently no plans to release an official Time Commanders game.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Yeah, or at least a slightly older version of it.

Edit: damn beaten......twice.

Comment

Yeah it might be Medieval: TW or even Shogun:TW engine. Prolly not Rome :TW engine....

- Paul Valery

Comment

No, it's the R:TW engine alright, just an alpha version of it, from what I understand.

(M:TW and S:TW don't look NEARLY as impressive)
                        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

oh, ok. I havent actually seen Time Commanders so...all I know what the developers say

- Paul Valery

Comment

Oh, Time Commanders was definitely R:TW engine. Medieval? No way. Way too good-looking for that. Great series, waiting for the game like a little kid.
                            Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Forum about all things roman:

- Paul Valery

Comment

Working...
                              X