Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I find out exactly what version of a game is in the box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I find out exactly what version of a game is in the box?

Ok, the situation is this. I have found a good game (Civilization II) for a cheap price (15 Euros). My old disc is somewhat worn out and I don't even play it much any more but I would buy.

The problem is, the box only says "Civilization II". It is a relatively new release (2001) under a label "Infogrames legends" or something like that. I figure it should be MGE but how can I be certain? It doesn't say on the box and I can't find any details about the release on the web. Would they dare release vanilla Civ 2 in 2001?

I've found it on Ebay too but the descriptions are just copies of the "blurb" on the back side of the packaging and they mention scenarios but not multiplayer.

Any suggestions as to how I can figure out what version of Civ II this is before I buy?

You could open the box and see what it says on the CD.

I've got MGE in the full-sized box, but it would be marked MGE if it were that anyway. However, it was c alled Multiplayer Classic or something like that too. Ask SG or -Jrabbit or Bloody Monk.
    You can "upgrade" ordinary Civ 2 to MGE, but 'poly won't let me tell you how to do this. I would suggest that you ask at CFC.

Comment

If it doesn't say MGE explicitly I doubt it is. Also, if you already have the game you can 'upgrade' it to MGE very easily, but as Duke said details will not be forthcoming here.

Comment

ask the seller?

if you're getting it from a place like EBay, you should be able to post questions to the seller. At a brick and mortar you might be able to ask the store clerk for additional info?
        Insert witty phrase here

Comment

It's a brick and mortar store and the seller doesn't know.

I already have MGE and I want another MGE so I won't buy if it's only Civ II.

They are either insolent for releasing vanilla Civ II or lazy for keeping the same cover image and text as for the original Civ II release on a MGE release. Sloppy work from them in any case.

Comment

Dare I ask why you want to buy a game you already have a copy of?

Comment

I have a few games I have two copies of, max being three I think. I have Civ II in five or so copies, but only one original. Very used since it "saw the world" before everyone had a CD-burner. I want another one

Comment

Yeah, I still don't get it. One of us is strange.

Comment

X-Ray goggles.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                  X