No announcement yet.

Superpower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microprose's X-Com: UFO Defense had a 3D-globe interface looong before Sp2, though it wasn't as clean as this one looks.

I read somewhere on their site that you CAN play either real-time or turn-based.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

General Ludd,

I agree on all three points.

DRoseDARs,

I just noticed the RT/TB thing myself. That could be very interesting.

I'm getting all giddy like a school girl.

Comment

i didn't mean it played like risk but the general idea IS risk with mission cards the details are just different. it just sounds like a really weird way to play a super detailed and complex strategy/war game. there is a reason almost everyone ignores objectives for points in eu2.
        Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

But there aren't any "mission cards" Where did you read that?
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

it said players set their own objectives. mission cards are just random objectives in risk. objectives are objectives no matter their name.

Comment

Originally posted by alms66
              Superpower is complex, and has only gotten moreso in the second version, it seems. That is what is intended, and personally I love it. Most games now (even strategy games, Civ3 for example) are much too simplistic for my tastes.
              Strategies are themselves necessarily simple. Like, "Beat up Green before beat up Blue" or "Ally with the nationalists to gang up on the invaders."
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by pg
                it said players set their own objectives. mission cards are just random objectives in risk. objectives are objectives no matter their name.

By "players set their own objectives" it means that there is no objective. You just play to play - if you want to play with certain goals in mind, you can do so. Similiar to Europa Universalis.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                  By "players set their own objectives" it means that there is no objective. You just play to play - if you want to play with certain goals in mind, you can do so. Similiar to Europa Universalis.
                  then why would they say this in the game description? is it wrong?

Players set their own objectives and try to achieve them within a set time.
                  no objectives with a set time? the quote makes it sound like they are hard coded into the game.

Comment

Originally posted by pg
                    no objectives with a set time? the quote makes it sound like they are hard coded into the game.
                    You can set the time at 10, 20, 50, 100 years or set it to unlimited, at least in SP1.

Comment

I returned it after a few days.

Comment

I returned to it when I first saw this thread. Currently playing as China. It's 2007, I switched to a "full" Democracy a few years back, haven't built even a single Infantry unit beyond existing military, am fully resource independant (exporting only), all techs are at Gen6 making me the most advanced by a wide margin, and have just deployed 8 CWPS-02's (Chinese Weapon Platform Satellite Mark 2's) targetting Russian soil, each carrying 1 gen6 ICBM. Just for fun, I saved my game and launched the nukes. The Russians only managed to fire off ONE nuke (out of dozens? hundreds?) before they were hit.

Tee hee.

Comment

August 6, 2008 12:14:23 PM

5 minutes ago

By Chisaki Wantanabe, Associated Press Writer

China Announces "Armed Pacifism" Policy

BEIJING, China - In a shocking development, China's government announced on Wednesday the dismantling of most of its conventional military forces. Most of China’s military personnel were officially relieved of duty at 11:01 AM this morning. Currently, arrangements are being made with over three dozen countries for the scrapping of military hardware, including tanks, submarines, destroyers, and jet fighters. Also mentioned was the closure of a dozen of China’s bases with more closures in the coming weeks. President Jiang Zemin called the new policy “Armed Pacifism.” He stated China no longer wishes to have other nations' underlying fear of its military shaping diplomatic relations with the rest of the world.

“The only nations that should fear our weapons are those who would seek to harm China. We welcome good trade and good relations with all nations, even those with who before today we were not on best diplomatic terms, but we will not look kindly upon threats.”

Asked about the situation with Taiwan, long considered a renegade province, President Zemin stated that China still seeks unification with the island but could no longer view military action as an acceptable option on “China’s new leaf.”

This comes just months after China deployed a network of some 80+ nuclear-armed satellites, at an estimated production cost of over $200 billion. Chinese officials stated that with this weapons system, along with the soon-to-be completed network of communication/sensor satellites, their nation no longer felt the need to maintain conventional forces. Major military bases of the United States, Russia, the United Kingdom, France, Israel, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, India, and North Korea are all listed as being targeted. These nations are either known or suspected nuclear powers. Officials also hinted at the possibility of the deployment of addition satellites to also target countries maintaining nuclear research facilities or even just the technology to build nuclear weapons. When one reporter noted such research can be found easily on the Internet, the officials declined to further clarify the policy.

The announcement was met by both praise and condemnation from all corners of the globe. President Kerry strongly denounced China’s shift in policy, declaring it “a reckless move building upon a dangerous precedent” in reference to the initial deployment of the world’s first orbital weapons system. He declined to answer questions about possible responses the United States might consider. Secretary General Marcus McNeill of the UN cautiously welcomed the news.

“Although we are still haunted by the memories of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, on this the 63rd anniversary of their destruction by the Atom Bomb, and the terrorist attack on Los Angeles in 2006, one cannot deny the peculiar ability nuclear weapons have of ensuring a degree of peace. They are a terrible way to go about seeking peace but, coupled with the dismantling of conventional weapons and the discharge of military personnel, we can hope that China has found the security it seeks.”

Most nations reiterated their protests against the nuclear satellites, but many praised China’s decision to reduce its military, one of the largest in the world.

Before concluding the press conference, President Zemin proclaimed, “My words are backed with nuclear weapons!”

Comment

fable will you all, and this gmae especially!!
                            Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                            Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                              I returned to it when I first saw this thread. Currently playing as China. It's 2007, I switched to a "full" Democracy a few years back, haven't built even a single Infantry unit beyond existing military, am fully resource independant (exporting only),
                              China in 2007 not importing a drop of oil??? Somethings wrong with this game
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Looks like Golem is gone for good. Forums have been down for a long time now. But may be because their looking to leave Dreamcater and it takes time.

The first game after a 1.4 patch still had problems. But mods helped to turn this around . Guy named Roko has his own web site with many guides on how the game works along with how to work game editor. Plus his mod work on the AI.
                                Anyone still working on the AI files still? Source code release would be a help as it would speed up improvements. Just look at the work being done on Call to Power2.

Comment

Working...
                                X