Half-Life done in 45 minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trajanus
    I do wonder how he manages to jump down huge chasms and not crashing to death (I know it's because the angle of the platform is so that he won't take damage but how does he know where exactly?).
    actually i can explain that too. in id's 3d engines if you are in close proximity to a wall you can slow yourself down in falls. if they walls are at angles it's even easier(notice he always falls a lot where 2 walls join). all you have to do is fall normal, then when you get near the bottom press against the wall and the engine should think for a second you stopped falling. once you start falling again you won't have far to go before you land thus taking no damage. of course this happens really fast so you don't even notice he did it. also if you land on angled surfaces you don't even need to do that wall trick if you get lucky.

Maquiladora is also probably right about falling into new maps making the loading restarting you fall. iirc quake 2 did that also(half life guys had access to q2 code btw).

now that i've seen more of the video(about 2/3s) i've also noticed how he uses wall strafing. if you strafe against walls you can move faster. in tight spaces where you can't build up speed via bunnying or the area is just too small wall strafing is faster. wall strafing was possible all the way back in doom. it's funny how being the best fps player usually comes down to engine exploits and how many people don't even realize they exist. even more funny is the fact practically every id engine has the same bugs going back to doom(most were first seen in quake 1 with the introduction of true 3d).
    Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Nah, In Thief 1&2 (and probably 3 too) you can't bunnyjump. You can do a slight superstrafejump there but you can't build up speed anyway
      who the hell plays thief seriously enough to test this. besides thief seems like a game where they would spend effort preventing bunnyhops. im sure theres a firearm-like jump pnealty.
      :-p

Comment

I would be interested in seeing 'speed-runs' of Thief1&2 (I haven't played number 3 yet ) because that would require some tactical planning instead of simply bunnyhopping. Since you tend to avoid combat anyway in these games, and the levels are loaded with secret paths, shortcuts etc there wouldn't be much of a difference apart from the fact that getting whacked by a guard (at expert level) almost means instant death

I've got some quick runs, though I guess Skanky here will beat me with his hands tied behind his back

PS: who the hell plays halflife, doom2 and other crap seriously now.. these games are ancient too so that's not the point
        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

A speed run of thief would indeed be amazing to watch.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
            A speed run of thief would indeed be amazing to watch.
            Problem is I could do it with Fraps, but it takes up a lot of space even when compressed... and I don't know of a way to make a demo in the game itself
            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie

Comment

Apparently there is something called the Lytha way:

1.) Play in Expert Difficulty

2.) Get all the loot

3.) Don't deal any damages. ( * )

=> Don't lead anyone into traps, don't drown anyone, try to avoid gang-wars, don't use holy water on Undead, don't kill anyone with a hammer, don't shoot gas-arrows at your enemies, don't find other nifty ways to get rid of your enemies. Just sneak through the mission, and avoid getting seen.

You can also play with the goal not being seen once (ghost/supreme) (which is in some levels impossible though) by any guard, but that's just insane

Comment

PS: who the hell plays halflife, doom2 and other crap seriously now.. these games are ancient too so that's not the point
                but that is the point. those games were played hardcore before, therefore all sorts of method, glitches and game calculation has been tested and researched.
                :-p

Comment

Working...
                X