railroad tycoon 2 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• railroad tycoon 2 question

Well if there's anyone out there that still plays RR Tycoon 2, I have a question about commodities.

When a factory at a station produces a commodity demanded by that station, will the commodity eventually be sold to the station? Is there a way to satisfy demand in a station by a factory at that station.

Example: Suppose station X encompassing a town/city also has a tool & die factory. I ship steel to this factory at station X and export goods from station X to various other stations demanding goods. However, I would like the city at station X to develop, and to further that aim I wish to meet station X's demand for goods. Well I own the tool & die factory at station X so why cant I just sell some of those goods to the city at station X. In other words satisfy X's needs with X's own production?
    "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Re: railroad tycoon 2 question

Originally posted by Pythagoras
    Well if there's anyone out there that still plays RR Tycoon 2, I have a question about commodities.

When a factory at a station produces a commodity demanded by that station, will the commodity eventually be sold to the station? Is there a way to satisfy demand in a station by a factory at that station.
    Example: Suppose station X encompassing a town/city also has a tool & die factory. I ship steel to this factory at station X and export goods from station X to various other stations demanding goods. However, I would like the city at station X to develop, and to further that aim I wish to meet station X's demand for goods. Well I own the tool & die factory at station X so why cant I just sell some of those goods to the city at station X. In other words satisfy X's needs with X's own production?
    No. You will have to ship "Goods" from another station. All items that are created in "X" station are for export only.

Comment

Bit off topic but i still much prefer it to RRT3 so play it on a fairly regular basis so you're not alone

Comment

Actually you can deliver a city's goods to itself, but no cash is received for the delivery since the distance from the source to the destination is zero.

However, the city's craving for the delivered item is reduced just the way it is when the goods come from another city, so "demand" is apparently satisified.

In any event, I don't think satisfying demand is enough compensation for the loss of income. I'd rather wait and make more cash so as to expand to another city that also produces the desired goods.

Thanks Standup, for the heads up on RR Tycoon III. Like so many games recently, it seems that the latest version can't live up to #2.

Comment

It's solo! The Civ2 legend!

BTW, I agree that RRT2 is superior to 3. I wouldn't buy it until it's fairly cheap, if at all.

And, to get back on topic, you can't make money from it, but you can ship its goods to itself.
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Hi Jaguar,

Maybe we can start a little RRT2 group here and share some ideas about the game.

I'm still fairly new to RRT2, but am afraid I have found a serious flaw in the design, at least while trying it on expert level. It appears to be too easy to take over a company, drain its cash and then deliberately ruin it and profit even more from short selling. Do this to each company that starts the game and you'll end up with a huge pile of cash to build a super system without any AI competition interfering with your routes.

Comment

The official forum has some quite heated debates on whether RRT3 is any good although the current bug bear is the lack of support and info on patches - RTT3 Forum

Personally i don't like the new economy and find it hard to get all the information i need. Also its 3D which isn't always a good thing. It has potential but i've returned to RRT2 for the time being.

I tend to avoid the stock market and always do badly in scenarios that have a personal net worth goal.

Comment

Originally posted by solo
                Hi Jaguar,

Maybe we can start a little RRT2 group here and share some ideas about the game.

I'm still fairly new to RRT2, but am afraid I have found a serious flaw in the design, at least while trying it on expert level. It appears to be too easy to take over a company, drain its cash and then deliberately ruin it and profit even more from short selling. Do this to each company that starts the game and you'll end up with a huge pile of cash to build a super system without any AI competition interfering with your routes.
                That's just cruel.
                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by solo
                  Hi Jaguar,

I've never done this, but I can confirm others have Its unfortunate. Its still fun, however, to build up your own RR and pretend that the flaw doesnt exist. I'm slowly messing with the campaigns in Platinum ed. I figure once I'm done that I might get bored with the game. Its well worth the $, however.
                  "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Working...
                  X