Living Greyhawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living Greyhawk

Just wondering, have any Apolytoners played this 'live-Dungeons and Dragons' game setting?

It sounds quite interesting, and I was just wondering if any of you had any thoughts on the issue or interesting experiences to share
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

There have probably some people her who've played Temple of Elemental Evil at least. I've always wanted to but never got around to it.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

What exactly is this about?

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

You getting a +1?
        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Nope, wondering what "live-Dungeons and Dragons" is.

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

It's an amazingly laudable yet astonishingly foolish idea at the same time.

On the bright side, the idea behind "living X" campaigns is a campaign that stretches across the world, where everybody impacts the same world, and if I move from New Jersey to England, I can keep the same character, who is simply making a similar trip from the part of the world given to NJ to the part of the world given to England.

On the down side, in order to accomplish this, they decided to completely remove the importance of individual characters, their eccentricities, or give any freedom to the GM. To prevent characters from cheating on rolls, characters are made point-buy, insuring you never see any exceptional characters. In order to prevent GMs from levelling up favorite friends of theirs, the GMs can only run pre-made adventures, which only give out a set amount of XP, which must be signed off on. Since these are all pre-made adventures that can be run, no character ever has a particular reason of his (or her) own to do something; all characters are wandering do-gooders with nothing particularly better to do with their time than solve these pre-made adventures. Since the GM has no freedom, he also must strictly enforce the letter of the rules, subject to appeal by his players!

Now, it would certainly be no fun if another player came to your game, and he had conspired with his previous GM to make a level 20 character with 18's in all his stats. But I say just not let him play in that case. The cure is worse than the disease when you remove all flavor from the game.
            All syllogisms have three parts.
            Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation SnowFire.

and if I move from New Jersey to England, I can keep the same character, who is simply making a similar trip from the part of the world given to NJ to the part of the world given to England.
              I didn't quite understand this though... do the characters actually move within geographic areas defined by the gamemaster and when someone really moves- the character really moves?

Sorry, this seemed a bit vague...
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
              X